External DVD/CD drive compatability

Reaction score
My optical drive doesn't work and I'm looking to get an external drive instead of replacing the internal drive. I've been searching websites for different drives, reading reviews and it seems as though Mac is really particular in which drives are compatable or not. I obviously want to make the right choice, so hopefully someone can assist.

I really don't care about DVD burning, but the option would be nice. It will mainly be used for installing different softwares, transfering data, music, watching DVDs and allowing my 6 yr old daughter to play games.

I'm not hurting for money, but I don't want to spend a God awful amount of money either....I just want something thats reliable and will work with my laptop. Best bang for the buck so to speak.

Also, I've noticed a lot of drives require 2 usb cables to be plugged in for it to power on. I don't really like that too much considering my laptop only has 2 USB plug ins and they are on opposite sides of the lap top.

I have an Aluminum Power Book G4 15" 1.67 Ghz. Running Leopard 10.5.8.

THANKS!!!

AA

OP
A
Reaction score
Please disregard. I noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. I'll repost in the Other Hardware forum. Sorry...

OP
A
Reaction score
My optical drive doesn't work and I'm looking to get an external drive instead of replacing the internal drive. I've been searching websites for different drives, reading reviews and it seems as though Mac is really particular in which drives are compatable or not. I obviously want to make the right choice, so hopefully someone can assist.

I really don't care about DVD burning, but the option would be nice. It will mainly be used for installing different softwares, transfering data, music, watching DVDs and allowing my 6 yr old daughter to play games.

I'm not hurting for money, but I don't want to spend a God awful amount of money either....I just want something thats reliable and will work with my laptop. Best bang for the buck so to speak.

Also, I've noticed a lot of drives require 2 usb cables to be plugged in for it to power on. I don't really like that too much considering my laptop only has 2 USB plug ins and they are on opposite sides of the lap top.

I have an Aluminum Power Book G4 15" 1.67 Ghz. Running Leopard 10.5.8.

THANKS!!!

AA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
In my experience nearly any external optical drive will work - mine has a separate power supply (which is a pain itself), which means it works with just a normal single USB cable.

Any of the major brands should just work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@adouble11

Please do not cross post. If you feel that you posted in the wrong forum, ask a moderator to move it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And for the external to be bootable with your G4 you will need a Firewire optical drive. G4's will not boot from USB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.