iPad 1 release

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I'm a recent Apple convert, so I'm still learning the ropes here.

When the iPad 1 came out, how did stores fare with stock early on? Was it hard to get one? Did you have to camp out infront of stores the night before to get one on release day? If you didn't get one on the release day before the store sold out, were you able to get one within the next week or so?

There have only been 3 things I've ever rushed out to get. Concert tix when I was 15, midnight release of a book where the author was doing a midnight signing party, and a Wii. Each of those experiences I had to camp out the night before. Should I anticipate the same for the iPad 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The iPad 1 launch and the iPad 2 launch will be very different I suspect. First, many people have been waiting for the iPad 2 before getting an iPad and more people know what an iPad is and what it can do.

Second, Apple is not taking pre-orders for online shipping meaning the hardcore fans will be waiting in line at the stores since they can't order for delivery on launch day.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to tell you for certain what the lines will be like, if they'll be lines, or even how much stock each store would have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would recommend cruising by your local Apple Store each day to see when/if the lines start to form. My guess would be sometime in the early morning or afternoon of the release day. If you absolutely must have one, plan on there being a big line. There might not be, but at least you won't lose out because you didn't get there early enough. Show up at 5am March 11th. Or cruise by sometime in the evening/late night hours March 10th to see if any nut jobs have camped out overnight. I'm guessing it won't be as crazy as the iPad launch/release but ya never know...

Reaction score
Just wondering about a couple of things seeing I plan on ordering online,

1. Was Apple's website accepting orders as early as 00:01 of the day the original iPad came out?
2. Did anyone have problems ordering that first day because too many users were online trying to place orders?
3. Were the orders placed on the first day or two shipped out as per their usual 'fast shipping'? (On the apple.ca site it says you will receive your order within 8 business days.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple took orders for weeks before the actual release date last time. They were delivered on launch day so this is different.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Apple sure is wanting March 11 to get a lot of press. With all the stores that are getting the iPad for launch day, there are going to be lines all across the nation. Blogs, mac sites, major news outlets, local news will have easy to the parade of customers. If this is the case, then I'm a bit disappointed, they are using this to show how popular the iPad 2 is going to be and purposely not offer a pre-order option to get people out into the lines.

They just had the media spin the launch of the VZM iPhone as a fail, so I wouldn't be surprised, if they are trying to prevent that.

Reaction score
I checked with my local Target & Wal-Mart today, neither know yet if they will have them on release day. I don't think they will, but it would be nice since Target is 5 minutes away, yet the Apple store is an hour away. Not to mention my Target "Red Card" debit card gets me 5% off all Target purchases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.