• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple negotiating for repeat downloads of iTunes music purchases

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This would be pretty great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Agreed. This has been needed since day 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
+1 for this

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Would you be willing to pay extra for this? I wouldn't mind paying an additional 10¢ per song if it meant I could download my purchased songs an unlimited # of times. That seems fair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Would you be willing to pay extra for this? I wouldn't mind paying an additional 10¢ per song if it meant I could download my purchased songs an unlimited # of times. That seems fair.

I wouldn't.

This is the way things should work, I'm not paying extra for the insecurities of the RIAA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
It doesn't seem fair to charge double for something I have fairly purchased.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Why would you pay extra, on top of the already set price, just to be able to download the song again? You already paid for it! I usually back up all my songs onto an external hdd, so it doesn't really matter, but if you bought it once, you should have to pay anything extra to download it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This is good news.

Would be great to buy on one device then when using the other iTunes knows this and prompts a dl . . . . . Out with syncing it every time just for a new purchase.

It isnt a huge deal to me, but yea im not a fan of having to *hook up to sync* all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wow, and this whole time I thought that iTunes users were able to do this from the get-go! I didn't realize you guys had been taken for a ride all this time. Well, good luck in all that. Seriously. because that's just disgraceful on their part. I always assumed that once your transaction was in the database, re-downloading to the same account was a normal thing, in case one lost their data etc etc.. Ew.

Doug

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If there is any company out there that can negotiate this, it's definitely Apple. I'm glad they care about this change. Willing to bet, they get inundated with iTunes customers looking to recovery their purchased songs quite often.

Reaction score
I wouldn't.

This is the way things should work, I'm not paying extra for the insecurities of the RIAA.

Quoted for truth.

The RIAA lost the peg that would otherwise prop up the current scheme when they argued during Napster's peak that the price of music isn't for the CD itself (or whatever the container may be), but for the content.

Reaction score

I wouldn't mind this at all, i love the idea of having your songs at a finger click away. Free would be nice of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'd be really happy to pay the 10¢ and have the song simultaneously download to A Mac and an ipod touch/ipad or something. I don't own an iOS device. But having to download the song to one device the transfer to the other device would be annoying.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
lets face it. the recording industry hates everyone. they are gonna fight for their right to sell their track multiple times. or put heavy DRM on it, or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'd be really happy to pay the 10¢ and have the song simultaneously download to A Mac and an ipod touch/ipad or something. I don't own an iOS device. But having to download the song to one device the transfer to the other device would be annoying.

That is a great idea (simultaneous downloads).
But with CDs you still have to load them on your computer then sync to your iOS device. Maybe that won't always be the method if CDs phase out one day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That is a great idea (simultaneous downloads).
But with CDs you still have to load them on your computer then sync to your iOS device. Maybe that won't always be the method if CDs phase out one day.
I agree. I was referring to the itunes store with my comment. No physical CDs involved there. And for the times you purchase a music CD, there could be an option to rip the songs and send them to the iOS device at the same time. Well almost the same time.

It'd work like this. You rip a 12 track CD on your Mac. And after track 1 is ripped, at the same time track is one is sent to the iOS device and track 2 is ripped to the Mac. And so on and so on. Yes you still are syncing to the iOS device. But it happens at the same time as the CD rip. So you don't have to wait for the rip then when the whole CD is ripped then sync.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wireless syncing, I think that's in the works for the next Lion OS, right? You wouldn't have to pay extra for each song, when the actual itunes app can sync to your phone wirelessly. At least that's how I read into all that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.