iMac taking forever to boot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a summer 2010 iMac (8GB Ram, 3.2 i3) which I have been using for about 6 months.

Whenever I boot from an off state, the desktop comes up with a couple of minutes but then the HDD keeps accessing for about 15-20 minutes. During this time, the Mac is pretty much unusable as even opening Safari takes over a minute. After the approx. 20 minutes, everything calms down and the machine works as speedy as ever.

Coming from a PC background I am well used to windows getting bloated over time with each new application installed etc... is this the same for Mac OSX?

Is there anything I can do that will help? Defragging doesn't seem to be a part of Mac OSX.

Anyway... any information to help with my novice mac ability would be greatly received.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
It certainly shouldn't be taking that long to access the HDD, usually this occurs on a dying HDD.
As it is still under Apple Care I would make an appointment at your closest Apple Store for them to look at it, they may replace/ take away for repairs.

HTH
- Simon

OP
F
Reaction score
Many thanks for the feedback.

I originally thought it may be the HDD. Weird thing is, it only 'chunters along' after the desktop has come up (which happens relatively quickly). After the 15 mins of 'chuntering' everything is fine and all disk access is as fast as ever.

It is almost like it is trying to start up lots of processes on boot.

Do Mac's do lots of system checking, looking for updates, etc on boot that coud be causing this? Maybe it is purely down the the number of apps i have installed (my 1TB HDD has about 500gb left).

Best Regards,
Matt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You can have a look at what is starting up on boot, and minus "-" as much as possible by going to System Preference > Accounts > Login Items

HTH
- Simon

Reaction score
You could also take a look at Activity Monitor when it's doing this in case there's something taking up all your RAM. I found this with Quicksilver and another program (can't remember which). I deleted them, and everything was fine after that.

But, as Buzzard2010 says, it might be the disk, so back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you the Martin Sketchley that wrote Affinity Trap?

- Simon

Reaction score
Er... with some trepidation I'll admit to that, yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I liked it, read it the other day, weird coincidence! but thanks for the book :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do that will help? Defragging doesn't seem to be a part of Mac OSX.

I would first run all of the recommend routine maintenance suggested here:

OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

If that doesn't help, I know that defragging the hard drive on a Macintosh is controversial, but I've found that after running the most comprehensive defragmentation option in iDefrag:

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

that my Mac acts like it is in a huge hurry to startup! Usually my Mac starts up and is ready to go in about 40 seconds flat.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi again and thanks for everyone who took the time to respond.

After looking at the activity monitor it seems that 1 process is taking up all the cpu, disk activity etc...

mds process.

I will have to try and get to the bottom of this and see if it is something that could possibly be disabled.

Regards,
Matt.

Reaction score
"mds" and "mdimport" are Spotlight processes. If they are what is causing the slowdown, Spotlight probably has a corrupted database. To fix this you need to delete Spotlight's corrupted database, and have it create a new fresh one.

To do this, Open System Preferences (in the Apple menu) , choose the Spotlight panel, click on the Privacy tab, and drag your main drive's icon into the Privacy window. Now highlight your hard drive's icon within the Privacy window (by clicking on it once) and
click on the "-" (that is, the minus button in the Privacy Window).

Or you could highlight the hard drive icon in the Privacy window and hit the delete key.

This will cause the Spotlight database to be deleted and automatically rebuilt. (You won't be able to use Spotlight while its database is being rebuilt.).

After doing this, set your Mac so that it won't go to sleep, and leave your Mac on for the whole day, and allow Spotlight to index your entire drive uninterrupted.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.