white MacBook HDD On It's Way Out

Reaction score
So my white MB's hard drive is on its last legs. A few weeks ago I had to use Disk Utility on the install disc to uncorrupt the drive. It is now making a slight scraping noise and load times are drastically increasing. I know how to replace a hard drive, however, is it recommended I have an Apple Genius do the replacement for me? How much will that generally cost (if anybody is familiar with this)?*

Secondly, how do I transfer all my stuff off the old drive onto the new drive? Will an Apple Genius be able to do this?

Chris

*On a side note, this MacBook does not have Apple Care, and as far as I'm concerned, it is out of warranty - I've had it since April of 2010.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you've had it new since April 2010, then you still have warranty until April 2011.
I would therefore make an appointment with Apple, and they will change it for you free of charge.
Apple can transfer all your data, but until then, keep current time machine backups in case your HD doesn't make the distance.

Transferring your data back yourself is easy as pie using migration assistant.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you've had it new since April 2010, then you still have warranty until April 2011.
I would therefore make an appointment with Apple, and they will change it for you free of charge.
Apple can transfer all your data, but until then, keep current time machine backups in case your HD doesn't make the distance.

Transferring your data back yourself is easy as pie using migration assistant.

Thanks! I was wondering.

Chris
:)

Now, if the new drive is in the MacBook, I can pull my backups off the Time Machine drive and restore everything, or do I need to use an external HDD controller to pull the data off the old drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks! I was wondering.

Chris
:)

Now, if the new drive is in the MacBook, I can pull my backups off the Time Machine drive and restore everything, or do I need to use an external HDD controller to pull the data off the old drive?

The HDD controller is built into modern HDs.
Apple will reinstall OS X on your HD when they replace it.
Since you have time machine on an external HD, you can just use that with migration assistant when you get it back and you are good to go.

OP
C
Reaction score
The HDD controller is built into modern HDs.
Apple will reinstall OS X on your HD when they replace it.
Since you have time machine on an external HD, you can just use that with migration assistant when you get it back and you are good to go.

Okay! Thanks!
:D

OP
C
Reaction score

According to my receipt, the MacBook was purchased 3/27/10. So it has a few weeks left on that warranty.

But when I called my local Apple Store, they told me they don't do "bring-in and have-them-do-it"…I'd have to buy an Apple branded hard drive, and even there she proceeded to tell me that only they can replace the hard drive, if it needs to be replaced at all. So even if I bring a hard drive in, the store can't do anything with it. :Confused:

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I reckon do it yourself. takes about ten minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoever you spoke to at the Apple store is full of it.
I would ring up and speak to the manager, or just go ahead and make an appointment with the genius bar.
If your HD is toast, they will replace it under warranty with a new one.
There is no such thing as an Apple branded HD.

OP
C
Reaction score
Whoever you spoke to at the Apple store is full of it.
I would ring up and speak to the manager, or just go ahead and make an appointment with the genius bar.
If your HD is toast, they will replace it under warranty with a new one.
There is no such thing as an Apple branded HD.

The thing is - it was the manager. I asked if I could speak to the manager and she said she was.

I think I'll do this replacement myself. It's not like open heart surgery or anything.

Reaction score
Yes, do the replacement yourself. It's incredibly easy.. assuming you have the right screwdrivers. Be sure to get them or you will have a difficult task on your hands. I did it once with a steak knife and a couple screwdrivers that weren't the right size. I suggest the correct screwdrivers :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.