Playlist Folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 24" Cinema display, 60GB iPod Classic.OS X 10.6.6
Hello,

My apologies if this has been asked before......

I'm trying to speed up the process of locating the desired album / artist on my 60 Gb 5th generation iPod Classic by creating a top-level folder structure. For example, my playlist folder structure in iTunes is as follows:

Classical
Groups
Male
Female

The Groups folder contains smart playlists for all rock/pop groups, Female contains all solo female artists etc.

I was hoping to replicate this structure on the iPod to enable any required artist / album to be located quickly via the folder - ie without having to scroll through a very long list of playlists, but no matter how I try, I always end up with just that - a very long list of playlists! The top level folders (Classical, Groups etc) are not replicated onto the iPod. I have tried manual and auto-sync to no avail.

I have looked elsewhere and have seen claims that this is possible but have been unable to achieve this. If it is possible, is this something that can only be done on 'the dark side' (Windows arghh).

If this strategy can be replicated on a Mac based library, I'd be very grateful for precise instructions on how to accomplish it.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you look at view options in iTunes while it is on your music as the option change for
movies,podcast and etc. etc. there is the tutorial under help you may want watch. I see
playlists is not what you wanted so it might be third party for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 24" Cinema display, 60GB iPod Classic.OS X 10.6.6
Did you look at view options in iTunes while it is on your music as the option change for
movies,podcast and etc. etc. there is the tutorial under help you may want watch. I see
playlists is not what you wanted so it might be third party for you.

Thanks osxx. I recently read on the iLounge forum that playlist folders are only supported on the later versions of the iPod classic, and if true, the 60GB model probably precedes this support. Having read both arguments i.e. that Classics do / do not support playlist folders, this does clear up the confusion.

What a pity that Apple did not make the playlist folder a standard feature across all models - it would add a very useful function that I'm sure users would appreciate and also provide less ammunition for the iPod 'knockers'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.