• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Android hit by rogue app viruses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just makes me feel safe & cozy behind the "walled garden". ;)

Reaction score
Gotta love the walled garden. Sad to say, Google NEEDS to do something about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Got to agree life in the garden is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was reading another article about this on Ars Technica earlier. A number of the comments seem especially insightful and worth reading. Here's a link to one comment in particular that's worth reading, from a developer:

Malware in Android Market highlights Google's vulnerability

I've read that the Marketplace gives you the feeling you are being mugged, and the comment I linked to further reinforces that impression. The more I read about Android, the happier I am staying waaaay away from it. It just sounds like it needs too much micromanaging. Actually, it sounds EXACTLY like Windows.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I was reading another article about this on Ars Technica earlier. A number of the comments seem especially insightful and worth reading. Here's a link to one comment in particular that's worth reading, from a developer:

Malware in Android Market highlights Google's vulnerability

I've read that the Marketplace gives you the feeling you are being mugged, and the comment I linked to further reinforces that impression. The more I read about Android, the happier I am staying waaaay away from it. It just sounds like it needs too much micromanaging. Actually, it sounds EXACTLY like Windows.
I don't think I ever realized how messed up the Android app market was. Seems like the developer in the comment spent about a third of his resources just dealing with the policy hoops that he had to jump through.

Reaction score
A lot of people miss the point of Android. It's a great platform for those of us building mobile apps for enterprises. Apps can be installed from anywhere and cost to develop is lower. Device choices are a good thing since they come at different price points. Fragmentation is not a big deal when enterprises control all the purchasing.

I see the value in an open source platform but I'm also wise enough to know viruses are a real concern for Android. Look at it another way, there is a great opportunity for developers of virus protection apps to make big money in the Android space.

The Android Market definitely needs an overhaul. Personally Google should exert more control over the apps that appear in the Market to avoid this kind of problem in the future. Because Android apps can be installed from anywhere I see no issue with Google creating the same walled garden for Android Market. It might happen if this continues to be a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.