iDVD & Double Layer DVDs

G

gmoore66

Could anyone help as I'm thinking of buying a new external DVD writer as I keep getting buffer underrun with my old one when burning DVDs from iDVD.

I wondered if anyone has tried (or if it's possible) to burn to a double layered DVD (8.5GB) from iDVD. Does iDVD give you the option to burn to these DVDs or will it burn to the old standard (i.e. 4.7GB)? Naturally, with 8.5GB the compression need not be so high so in theory I'd get a better quality picture.

Does the newer version of iDVD allow you to select the external DVD player and the DVD's capacity or is that only something like Toast that uses this? I'm assuming that Toast can't burn using the iDVD themes, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

You see, I'd like to keep iDVD's themes which you don't get via QuickTime.

Regards,

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I'm not sure about the idvd thing, but I can tell you that the buffer underrun error is not caused by your dvd burner, if you have many apps open while burning, or any depending on how much ram you have, that will cause it, among other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Any version iDVD should work fine with an external burner... I know for sure that iDVD 5 will also do Dual Layer disks. You can select whether it is a Dual Layer disk or standard disk in the Project Info box.

You would also be correct that you cannot use Toast to burn iDVD themes.

OP
G

gmoore66

Buffer underrun

Macman said:
I'm not sure about the idvd thing, but I can tell you that the buffer underrun error is not caused by your dvd burner, if you have many apps open while burning, or any depending on how much ram you have, that will cause it, among other things.

This buffer underrun problem that I'm trying to fix, I definitely don't have any other apps running at the same time as a burn (except for the Mac processes that run in the background at all times). I made sure that I closed down every other app. I have 768MB or RAM and am running iDVD from iLife 04 (v4.0.1).

I know I should buy iLife 05 coz it allows you to create your DVD image then burn the image, rather than iDVD 4 which makes you do it all in 1 go. But I bought an extra 512MB or RAM to try and resolve the problem and it hasn't.

I never used to have this problem with iDVD 03 by the way.

Any other thoughts please?

Thanks,

Gary

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I remember having this problem some time ago. I think what I did was reduce the burn rate (speed).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.