System extension cannot be used

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac7.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, Processor Speed: 2 GHz, Memory:2 GB, Bus Speed:800 MHz
Hey guys

For some reason I'm getting this message

SYSTEM EXTENSIONS CANNOT BE USED

the system extension "/usr/local/vscanx/extensions/virex.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

Now i don't think i installed an application file, so i got no idea where this is coming from

Another thing i have noticed was i cannot empty my trash? are these two related?
And how do i get rid of this?

all advice would be appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you got McAffee installed at all?

- Simon

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac7.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, Processor Speed: 2 GHz, Memory:2 GB, Bus Speed:800 MHz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It is part of a virus scanner, program you may have installed. Have you installed any antivirus software? If so then you can uninstall it no problems.

- Simon

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is part of a virus scanner, program you may have installed. Have you installed any antivirus software? If so then you can uninstall it no problems.

- Simon
Hey simon

thanks for the help

As far as i know i haven't installed any virus scanner, i have no idea where this has come from

I did use a new USB today, would that have caused it?

also i was going through a few discussion boards and came across this solution

.kext file installed improperly and cannot be used
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 2:03 PM

If you see this error, after an update or rebuild of your system....

The system extension "/System/Library/Extentions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

Check to confirm the permissions on the kext file and all of the files inside.

1. open hard drive > System > Library > Extensions
2. Find the extension in question
3. Right click on the kext file > Show Package Contents
4. Change permissions
Owner = System (read/write)
Group = wheel (read only)
Guest = (read only)
5. repeat and confirm for ALL files within the Package Contents (try using 'apply privis to enclosed')

"kext" means kernel extension; similar to "extensions" in OS 9.

now the thing is, i can't find that file

What should i do?

Qib

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure sounds like the computer has had Virex or some other antivirus software installed at some point, maybe before you got it? AV software must be removed using an uninstaller usually available from the manufacturer's web site. Otherwise little pieces are left behind, which is perhaps what you may be seeing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.