Installing Windows 7 Upgrade Edition on a new Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a recent convert to Apple after becoming more and more disillusioned with Windows for the past 10 or so years. I have ordered a shiny new 15" 2011 MBP and can't wait for it to arrive!

My issue is that I am going to need to install Windows for occassional use with certain software as well as occassional gaming. I have a legitimate copy of Windows XP (as well as ME and 98) which I am perfectly happy with - However I understand that the new Macbooks will no longer support WinXP via Bootcamp?

I am a student and have recently purchased a copy of the Windows 7 upgrade edition to rectify this, but I have now read that you cannot perform a "clean" install from the upgrade edition?

I'm afraid I am finding this all very confusing. I do own a legitimate copy of WinXP, and am eligable for the Win7 upgrade, so any help getting this installed on my new Macbook? I would hate to have to keep my ancient desktop around just for Windows, as this would defeat the object of my new purchase.

I have found the following guide;

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx

Does anyone know if this will work in my case or has anyone tried on a brand new MBP?

Thanks in advace for any advice and guidance you can offer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have found the following guide;

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...ade-media.aspx

Does anyone know if this will work in my case or has anyone tried on a brand new MBP?

It will work just fine. I've used it myself - follow the instructions.

As long as you have a legal copy of XP or Vista, you will not be violating the MS EULA by installing the upgrade version of Win 7. Note, however, that the install will be clean and unlike XP, Windows 7 must be installed to a NTFS partition. Print out the Boot Camp Assistant instructions and have them on hand before you start.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help chscag - which of the methods would you recommend? Someone else has suggested the 'double install' as a sure-fire way.

If it's simply a case of taking the time to install it twice that's fine with me - it just seems like such an easy work-around that i'm not sure what the point of the restrictions are! :D

Thanks for the tip re: bootcamp assistant - will bootcamp prompt me to reformat before letting me try to put Windows on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used the double install method the first time to make sure it would work, however, I later found out it was not necessary as it activated OK anyway.

Use whatever method you feel comfortable with. Go with the double install as that will work for sure.

As for formatting - be careful here. Boot Camp only sets up the partition and prepares it for formatting. Once it reboots to the Windows 7 installer, you have to make sure that you carefully read the blue screen directions. Selecting and formatting the correct partition is a bit more obscure than it was when installing XP. Make certain you select the Boot Camp partition and not your Snow Leopard one.

And as I mentioned in my first post, you must select NTFS or the installation will fail.

Let us know how it went.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice, i'll be able to test it out after my laptop arrives on the 15th (fingers crossed). In the meantime, if I may ask an additional question...

I have read in an issue of Mac Format about installing Windows in VirtualBox? I'm not really sure how this differs from using BootCamp and what the advantages/disadvantages are... i'm looking to mostly use windows for gaming, would this method be suitable for that as i see I would not have to restart the system.

Reaction score
No, virtualbox will not be suitable for gaming, since the graphics is virtualised you will only get the virtual graphics NOT the 3D accelerated graphics hardware and the games would either fail to install or fail to run. Bootcamp is best for gaming period.

Reaction score
Read the switcher's guide sticky at the top of this forum - it will answer all your questions about Boot Camp, gaming, virtual machines, etc. Then post back if you have specific questions. thanks and good luck!

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.