Blank Icons / Apps Present?!!?: Picture

Reaction score
Not sure what happened here…but many of my apps now have no icon displayed. They all seem to work properly though.

1) How did this happen…random glitch…something I did?

2) How to fix? I suppose that deleting and reinstalling each one would work, but is there a better way. Normal syncing does nothing. I have a few ideas but don't want to mess things up any further. There are many pages of Apps so affected.

Thanks.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14453&stc=1&d=1299166402

ipodblanks.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Strange issue and not one that I have seen before...

Have you tried a turn off/ on?

Have you backed it up and tried a restore?

Just a couple of ideas... I know the second one is a pain in the back side but could be worth a go!

HTH
- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Strange issue and not one that I have seen before...

Have you tried a turn off/ on?

Have you backed it up and tried a restore?

Just a couple of ideas... I know the second one is a pain in the back side but could be worth a go!

HTH
- Simon

Yes for the on/off. I also tried syncing a few times. And I forget the exact name but I did an iPod reset that kept my files. All of the Apps work fine, it's just that some of the icons vanished.

I'll try the restore later on and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If it is the Hard Reset/ Reboot you are on about, there is a possibility this will work. To be clear about what this entails though here is how you do it...
To reset the iPhone or iPod Touch, press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button simultaneously at the same time for at least ten seconds, then the LCD display will clear and the Apple logo appears on the black background. When Apple logo appears, reset is done.

HTH
- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
If it is the Hard Reset/ Reboot you are on about, there is a possibility this will work. To be clear about what this entails though here is how you do it...
To reset the iPhone or iPod Touch, press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button simultaneously at the same time for at least ten seconds, then the LCD display will clear and the Apple logo appears on the black background. When Apple logo appears, reset is done.

HTH
- Simon

I will try that too. The reset I did was from within the preferences-general menus and IIRC there were two choices, I chose the milder version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
THis happened to my iPod Touch.

Backup and then do a restore. Load on the backup and your good to go.

Did you in advertently disconnect it while it was syncing ???

By son took my iPod off the Mac while in mid sync and this was the outcome.
You should be fine with a restore

OP
S
Reaction score
THis happened to my iPod Touch.

Backup and then do a restore. Load on the backup and your good to go.

Did you in advertently disconnect it while it was syncing ???

By son took my iPod off the Mac while in mid sync and this was the outcome.
You should be fine with a restore

Disconnecting while syncing…not that comes to mind. Unless it happened when I was asleep and my arm tugged on the wire or something like that. A point that comes to mind is that if this was a sync issue, then why were so many Apps affected while others were not? There must be something the affected Apps have in common. As with the unafflicted. No?

I'll try the various suggestions above. Perhaps an interrupted sync was the issue, if so at least I can try to work on that.

Whatever happened, I'm pleased that the issue is so mild in that I can still use any App normally until I straighten things out properly. I'm assuming that no further harm is caused by doing so, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At worst a restore then restore to your backup may have the issue still being there. But it should sort it out for you nicely.

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Been busy…just did the IOS 4.3 upgrade…which fixed everything…FWIW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted! :)

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted! :)

- Simon

Isn't Apple great? Whatever was wrong was straightened out during my update process, with no effort from yours truly. I've just been so busy that the blank icons were mostly a curiosity since the actual Apps still worked normally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Certainly a curiosity, least it's sorted, although nice to know what caused it... oh well!

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Certainly a curiosity, least it's sorted, although nice to know what caused it... oh well!

- Simon

Yes that is my only regret…I prefer to know exactly what happened, and to take steps so that it doesn't happen again. All I can think of is to be more careful syncing while asleep, ha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe a straight jacket? ;)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.