iPhone 4 keeps switching & staying on EDGE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've never loved and hated a phone so much :/

On my third iphone 4 now in 3 weeks (one was my fault) and now another problem after buying a brand new replacement for my shattered one. The first one apple replaced because it came free of charge.

So here's the deal...I've noticed that just the last day and today my iphone keeps switching to EDGE and just stays on EDGE. The only way for me to get it back on 3G is to turn the phone completely off or do a hard reboot. Then it stays on 3G...for about 15 min or so and then goes on to EDGE and stays on EDGE no matter where I go in the city. Mind you I've never had any problems with it before this 3rd phone...not with my 3g and other iphone 4's.

Anyone experience this problem before? Is it faulty hardware? Att? Do I really have to go back to Apple and get a new phone again? :(

Thanks all in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
my 3Gs did this once about a year ago..

noticed it read E for signal in the morning and was still stuck half way through the day.

a hard reset fixed the problem and it never happened again.

the fact that you did try a hard reboot and the problem still persists makes me believe it may be a antenna issue..but i could be wrong

sucks your on your 3rd..these are pretty solid phones imo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
edit to add..

have you tried contacting AT&T to see if there were any tower issues in your city?

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for the reply!

I don't THINK it's a hardware issue...or should I say that I'm wanting to hope that it's not because I don't need to be on my 4th phone in just a few weeks. :(

I love the phone, just hate all the problems I'm having. My 3G was a lot more durable it seems. Oh well...

I'm going to try to restore the phone now and see if that does anything, resetting network connections only help momentarily. Might give AT&T a shout if this doesn't work to see if there are any problems on their end too.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update by the way guys...

I went into Apple, and walked out with a new phone. Yep, 4th iPhone 4 in 3 weeks since buying ;) lol

They were really good about it just swapped it out for a new one. Apparently it seems that it had a faulty 3G antenna.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the help yall!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.