did i burned my motherboard using a cinema display with a mbp?

Reaction score
hi there,
my I5" MBP (model before unibody) just died, the motherboard. I was using it 90% o the time connected to a big cinema display screen (so the power adaptor has to be connected to the laptop all the time) Was it a mistake? Is it safeto use the external display all the time? (yes, i want a laptop because i have several working stations in several locations. minimac is just not powerful enough... and i still use it on my lap once in a while...) THANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's perfectly okay to use the computer with an external monitor all the time, if you like. If it wasn't, they would have to warn you in the operating manual.

If your MacBook Pro really is the one just before the unibody models, see if the failure matches the symptoms described in the article
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

OP
S
Reaction score
It's perfectly okay to use the computer with an external monitor all the time, if you like. If it wasn't, they would have to warn you in the operating manual.

If your MacBook Pro really is the one just before the unibody models, see if the failure matches the symptoms described in the article
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

this is what the apple tech thought first but the motherboard itself is dead, and since the external monitor is connected directly to the motherboard, a tiny spike of juice could burn it isn't it? Also my mbp battery charger has to be connected all the time when the external screen is used. I don't know, i just want to believe that apple is good stuff and a 2 years old motherboard can't just die like that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The Cinema display is built to be used with a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro. Mine is connected to my Cinema Display 100% of the time when I'm not out using it somewhere, no problems. So the display did not cause the logic board to go bad.

Sometimes it just happens.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you read the link technologist provided above? I suggest you do so now.

As you will see there, this is a well known issue, acknowledged by Apple, with the nVidia 8600 in your Mac. You will also see that they have extended the warranty to 4 years.

Take it back to Apple armed with your new knowledge and ask for them to fix it.

Also, while Apple has the highest satisfaction rating of all the computer manufacturers, you have to realize Apple sells over 25,000 Macs a day, 365 days a year. To expect that not a single part out of those machines will not fail at any point in time is sort of naive. The odds are pretty good with Apple, but the odds are still there.

Every MBP prior to the unibodies are now 2 1/2 to 3+ years old.

OP
S
Reaction score
Did you read the link technologist provided above? I suggest you do so now.

As you will see there, this is a well known issue, acknowledged by Apple, with the nVidia 8600 in your Mac. You will also see that they have extended the warranty to 4 years.

Take it back to Apple armed with your new knowledge and ask for them to fix it.

Also, while Apple has the highest satisfaction rating of all the computer manufacturers, you have to realize Apple sells over 25,000 Macs a day, 365 days a year. To expect that not a single part out of those machines will not fail at any point in time is sort of naive. The odds are pretty good with Apple, but the odds are still there.

Every MBP prior to the unibodies are now 2 1/2 to 3+ years old.

Thank you Mr bobtomay for sharing your knowledge. As i mentioned before, YES i am aware of this nVidia 8600 issue, the apple tech here in Cochin (south India) was the 1st one to point it out BUT it is not my video chip that is bad but my motherboard and according to him, this 4 years extended warranty only covers the video chip, not the motherboard. Please correct me if you think it does cover the motherboard too.THANKS

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? What died on the motherboard? If it is something else, no, it would not be covered by that warranty extension.

I only asked because you did not acknowledge you were aware of it, nor provide any hint as to what specifically is occurring with your Mac.

edit: If your machine still boots and exhibits the problems described in the KB article extending the warranty, then I'd be taking it back in for repair under that warranty.

If it died due to an electrical spike, it would not have been a spike from the external display, it would have been a spike from the electrical outlet.

Reaction score
Thank you Mr bobtomay for sharing your knowledge. As i mentioned before, YES i am aware of this nVidia 8600 issue, the apple tech here in Cochin (south India) was the 1st one to point it out BUT it is not my video chip that is bad but my motherboard and according to him, this 4 years extended warranty only covers the video chip, not the motherboard. Please correct me if you think it does cover the motherboard too.THANKS

He has no idea what he is talking about. You have to replace the whole motherboard, not the video chip. Please pay attention when people are talking to you.

This is 100% related to the nVidia problem, that tech has no idea what he is talking about. Take it somewhere else.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, it is getting confusing... It is very possible that the apple technician don't know what he is doing; here in India apple stores can be quite different. All i know is what he said: the motherboard is dead. Now if i boot the laptop, only the fan turn on (and the led on the front side) But you are giving me hope, i am flying to Singapore soon, maybe over there they will find out it can be taken under that 4 years extended warranty. This problem happen one morning, during a trip, laptop unplugged, no external display...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your Mac boots up, fans start, you hear the startup chime, the front light comes on - just a black screen, my first guess would be the video card died. To fix it, yes, the whole motherboard has to be replaced.

When you take it in, tell them you have this particular issue - the nVidia 8600 has died and you want to get it repaired under the warranty extension Apple has set up for that card. Don't provide any other info. Then let them tell you different if it is something else.

Good luck with it.

OP
S
Reaction score
If your Mac boots up, fans start, you hear the startup chime, the front light comes on - just a black screen, my first guess would be the video card died. To fix it, yes, the whole motherboard has to be replaced.

When you take it in, tell them you have this particular issue - the nVidia 8600 has died and you want to get it repaired under the warranty extension Apple has set up for that card. Don't provide any other info. Then let them tell you different if it is something else.

Good luck with it.

Well, when i brought the laptop there was another one with the video chip dead and taken under the warranty sheme. So i hoped that mine would be same. But instead he performed more tests and only late afternoon he told me that it was in fact whe whole motherboard that was dead. Anyways, i will take it to another place and see what the tech will find. Thanks for all these infos, they are so valuable when you travel off the beaten track. Btw, when i turn it on, there is no starting sound, only the noise of the fan (i thought it was the hd but the technician said it is the fan) and the front led.
Valuable when you travel off the beaten tracks.

OP
S
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, i called the guy in cochin again and he said since there is no starting sound when you boot, it is not the defective video chip problem... Well, i'll see what happen in singapore, but my hope reduced... :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Just a quick clarification on the nVidia Repair Extension Program. Apple provides technicians with software to test for the nVidia issue. The test should generate a code the technician can enter into their repair history to receive the proper cost override for the repair. Unfortunately, unless the technician has one of those codes, they aren't able to perform the repair under the Repair Extension. If they perform the repair anyway, AppleCare has the right to refuse payment for the repair and to charge the repair facility for the parts used. I don't know if that's what's going on here, but that's what it sounds like to me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Just a quick clarification on the nVidia Repair Extension Program. Apple provides technicians with software to test for the nVidia issue. The test should generate a code the technician can enter into their repair history to receive the proper cost override for the repair. Unfortunately, unless the technician has one of those codes, they aren't able to perform the repair under the Repair Extension. If they perform the repair anyway, AppleCare has the right to refuse payment for the repair and to charge the repair facility for the parts used. I don't know if that's what's going on here, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Let's hope you're right! :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.