MBP water damage

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am in need of some help ASAP.

I went out for a few hours. I left a cup that had ice in it (i know it was all ice, i meant to throw it away and forgot it when i left) at some point my dog knocked the ice over and it landed on my MPB. When I came back the MBP was off. the cord was unplugged (guessing he did it) and it wont turn on. I shook out as much water as I could and plugged the cord back in (it turned green indicating it was charging) and i gave it a few hours and tried to turn it on again (still wont work). I called apple and realized
1) I shouldnt have tried to turn it on and
2) i shouldve sat it upside down on a towel to dry out.

Ive got it sitting on a towel upside down now and have used a blow dryer on it.

Anyone had any problems like this before. Quick internet search shows its pretty common and that alot of times you give it overnight and it works again.

My only problem is that everyone thats done it knocked liquid over themselves and immediately cleaned it up. This was over about 3 hours so I dont know how much ice went on the keyboard how much melted. How or much even got on the macbook pro.

My biggest problem is I have a home business and all of my VERY important files are on this laptop and I havent had a chance to back them up (i moved about a month ago) so there are contacts, tax info etc i cant lose. if the laptop is toast what are the chances the hard drive is done too and if the hard drive is functionable can i go to apple and get them to pull off the entire laptop contents and put it on an external drive or soemthing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. but i would also greatly appreciate if people didnt just respond with "thats why you dont put drinks next to your laptop" i mean i know this and its really not helpful at this stage.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please read the "Sticky" post at the head of this forum which discusses spills and what to do. If you're very lucky, and since it was only water, you may be able to recover. However, turning it on (natural response) may have caused damage by shorting out components.

As for your data, you can try removing the hard drive and place it in a USB carrier and attach it to another Mac. If the drive wasn't damaged by the water, there's a good possibility you can copy your data from it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.