iOS 4.3 Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4 - Sweeeet!

Reaction score
This new feature in iOS 4.3, Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4 is exactly what I need. I have a monthly limit on my cellular data plan on my iPhone 4 of 6GB. I usually use about .5 GB per month. I was wishing I could share it on my iPad when I get it, but the rep at Rogers Wireless I recently spoke to told me it would cost me $30 a month to 'share' my 6gb plan with an iPad. Now the Gods at Apple have solved my problem. Sweeeeeeeet! Thank you Steve Jobs and Apple!!!!!

Reaction score
yeah, I really dig it.

Is it just for iPad? Or can I use it as a hotspot for my laptop...Fido wanted me to pay to enable "tethering"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't get too excited:

Personal Hotspot requires a supporting hotspot tethering plan from your carrier and works with up to three devices over Wi-Fi, three devices over Bluetooth, and one device over USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Don't get too excited:

I hate to hear this and to me it makes no sense if you have a tethering plan
what is the benefit of hotspot most people would only use this if there is no wi-fi
available or am I missing something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I hate to hear this and to me it makes no sense if you have a tethering plan what is the benefit of hotspot most people would only use this if there is no wi-fi available or am I missing something.

The benefit is the cell company makes more money off of you. Do you honestly think they are in the business of just giving their service away for nothing?

The Hot Spot IS tethering, just wirelessly.

FYI, please note the OP is from Canada and the companies up there may have different policies than their US counterparts.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got excited when I read this (I've been debating ditching my iPad data plan) but then I found that it would save me at the most $15 a month and I would have to give up my current unlimited iPhone and iPad data plans.
So for me it didn't make sense. I may still drop the iPad data plan and only buy it a month at a time if I am on a trip, but unless ATT (US) changes their policy there is no tethering or iPhone hotspot in my near future. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The benefit is the cell company makes more money off of you. Do you honestly think they are in the business of just giving their service away for nothing?

The Hot Spot IS tethering, just wirelessly.

FYI, please note the OP is from Canada and the companies up there may have different policies than their US counterparts.

I know they are in business to make money and they make a lot of it with a data plan on the iPhone and Uverse-phone,internet and Tv they get a big chunk of my money. I was hoping for the ability to use some of the data plan
I already pay for in emergencies when I can't hook up to a wi-fi without subscribing to another plan that will not be used enough to justify.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
I should have known it was too good to be true! Thanks to all for correcting me or at least making me read the fine print on the Rogers site.
Yes tethering is free if your data plan is 1GB per month or more. However, ipad does not support tethering and therefore there seems so far no way around paying for data on the ipad. However, with the 2 available options (250MB for $15, and 5GB for $30) both include unlimited access to all Rogers WiFi Hotspots.
to bentharbour: check with Fido if they are charging for tethering, after all they are owned by Rogers.
So I guess I better get my credit card ready to pay for an ipad plan :(

Reaction score
I should have known it was too good to be true! Thanks to all for correcting me or at least making me read the fine print on the Rogers site.
Yes tethering is free if your data plan is 1GB per month or more. However, ipad does not support tethering and therefore there seems so far no way around paying for data on the ipad. However, with the 2 available options (250MB for $15, and 5GB for $30) both include unlimited access to all Rogers WiFi Hotspots.
to bentharbour: check with Fido if they are charging for tethering, after all they are owned by Rogers.
So I guess I better get my credit card ready to pay for an ipad plan :(

Just phoned, they apologized and said it was an error by a previous customer service rep.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
I may be moving to a remote house w/o the ability to get any other internet besides a $60/month wireless USB from Verizon or AT&T. When this goes up I would enjoy a speed test on a laptop connected to this if anyone here gets it!!

Reaction score
For us Canucks, Rogers is supporting Personal Hotspot without extra charges for customers with a data plan of 1GB or more. I believe this includes Fido, but I can't speak to Telus/Bell customers' options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.