Help choosing my Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums! I have a few questions about purchasing a new Macbook Pro.

Well, I've been debating between getting a 13' and a 15'. I was planning on getting a 13 inch a few weeks then I heard about the new release and became excited after hearing about the quad-core processors in the 15' and 17 models. My question... is it worth getting a 15 inch really with quad core? I'm not that "techy" of a person so I don't know a whole lot. :Blushing:

2.3GHz dual-core Intel core i5 with (8GB) VS. 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7(4GB)

Is it really worth spending the extra money to get the 15 inch?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well what are you going to be using it for?

word processing plus web browsing = average processor needed

audio production/video production & encoding/gaming = high end processor/GPU for best performance.

photo editing: average or high end processor needed, lots of RAM for best performance.

OP
M
Reaction score
I will be running a few 3D modeling programs. And a program that I will need to bootcamp. Eventually, I will be running an Auto Cad program.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
those uses are quite demanding. i would go with the i7 quad for that: as your 3d modelling & auto cad get updated they will be more and more dependant on your system, so buying a better laptop now will be better in the long run. bootcamp you will be fine, but you will want a big hard drive if you do any serious work on the windows side.

you might also want to boost the RAM for your 3d modelling.

edit: also the 13" graphics are a bit poor. the 15 inch has a better chipset.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.