Power Mac G5 and Chirping Sounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Hoping someone may have an answer to this. Its kind of an odd thing thats going on... To me anyway.

My dual 1.8 Power Mac G5 is making a weird chirping, screeching sound. I really cant explain it though. It happens at odd times and not often at all. Maybe 3 to 4 times, every few days maybe less. It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from though. Its starting to worry me a bit though. I'm not sure if its the hard drive or something else. I cant tell where exactly the noise comes from. I do know it comes from inside my G5 tower/box.

I thought maybe it was my printer making the noise so I turned off the printer. Then I thought it was still the printer so I completely unhooked the USB cables and kept it turned off, unplugged. It still did it. There are no other devices next to the G5 tower. So everything else has been ruled out.

I know it sounds weird. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this or has had this happen to them and if anyone has a solution.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Books said:
Thanks for the link. I was actually reading the Apple Support Forums and they talk of this CHUD utility for this problem. However, the issue I'm having isn't like those of the search results that I found at the Support Forums.

Theirs are a constant chirping that happens frequently. Mine just happens a few times, but gets just as annoying. I just dont want my system to fail and loose everything I have. I'm going to back up my whole system tomorrow just in case of a hardware failure.

I am also going to give this CHUD utility a try and see how it goes. However, that's still not going to stop me from doing a complete back-up. And if it keeps up and I can not find any answers to resolve this issue, I'll give Apple a call and utilize my Apple Care.

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. :) Especially out of all views and no replies. ;)

:::UPDATE:::
Well, after installing the CHUD Utility it took care of that screeching noise the G5 makes when moving windows, hiding windows, when some screen-savers are running, and doing graphics work. Things like that. Lets just see if it cures that chirping sound now.

BTW, this is a neat little utility. It adds an icon to the "Hardware Pane" of "System Preferences" called "Processor". It gives you some good info about your processors, the option to turn off or allow "Nap" (which is what took care of the screeching sound). You can "show control in Menu Bar" and check your "Processor Pallet" window without going into "Utilities > Activity Monitor > CPU Tab".

It installs into the "Developer" folder that you get off of the "Added Tools" from the Tiger Install DVD".

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to give another update on this just incase anyone has this type of issue.

After doing the steps above, all issues have been taken care of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
You sir...are welcome.

Z

zakatov

Just hope y'all know that disabling nap basically makes the cpus run @ 100% all the time (not really, cuz nothing is using those cycles), but the temps basically reach 100% utilization levels, and fans kick in to compensate.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
zakatov said:
Just hope y'all know that disabling nap basically makes the cpus run @ 100% all the time (not really, cuz nothing is using those cycles), but the temps basically reach 100% utilization levels, and fans kick in to compensate.
Thanks for the info, but Ive been monitoring that and haven't seen such changes. Seems to run quieter.. Fans and all. I'll continue to keep an eye on them though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.