ipad 2 simlock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
does the new ipad have a sim lock?

thanks
cmu

Probably depends on where you are and what carriers offer it. Should contact them.

OP
C

cmu

Reaction score
are you sure?

because the old version did not have one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
are you sure?

because the old version did not have one

I'm not sure, nor can you be without contacting the carriers that will have it since it could vary depending on where you live and what carriers are available.

Not to mention it's actually not been released yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Cmu

My iPad1 has a sim card. I believe that the Verizon versions do not but you can't use Verizon iPads in many countries outside the USA anyway so there is no need. Verizon uses the old CDMA technology not used widely in this little world of ours whereas AT&T is GSM. Huge difference.

Reaction score
Yes it does. I have to enter an unlock code every time I restart my iPad.

I should probably qualify my statement. I interpreted your question to be one of a security nature. The sim card can be locked so that others can't access your 3G network.

If your question is whether or not it locks other carriers out besides AT&T and Verizon, I assume it will be unlocked like the first gen iPad. In looking around there seems to be a bit of confusion, but the overall consensus seems to be that as long as you can get a compatible GSM sim card, the iPad should be able to be handled by other carriers--especially in traveling to other countries.

My apologies if I misunderstood the initial question.
icon_redface.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.