iPad Unlimited Data Plan Transferrable to iPad2?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I debated whether to start a new thread or tack this question on the Hotspot thread.

I am grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan for my iPad.
Does anyone know if I can transfer that if I upgrade to the new iPad (or for that matter if I had to replace the original due to loss or damage)?

It is important to me because:
1) Obviously affects the eventual upgrade decision
2) I have been considering dropping the 3G data plan altogether since Wifi coverage has gotten better--but I would hate to do that and later wish I had kept the unlimited plan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm going to say I doubt it. Since it's not really a contactual plan and it's more of a pay-as-you-go offering, it's probably tied to the device and not transferable.

You can always call AT&T to ask for sure, or hit them up on Twitter @ATTSupport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm only assuming here, but it seems logical to me that whatever applies to the iPhone would apply to the iPad.
So, what happens if you purchase a new iPhone? However you handle that would probably be the same procedure for the iPad.

Did you try calling AT&T or the Apple Store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I thought that it was tied to the SIM ID, but I may be wrong. I thought I read this a while back, but can't seem to find it now.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to say I doubt it. Since it's not really a contactual plan and it's more of a pay-as-you-go offering, it's probably tied to the device and not transferable.

You can always call AT&T to ask for sure, or hit them up on Twitter @ATTSupport

That is what I was thinking. And, you are right. My best bet would be to contact ATT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
But if it is tied to the sim ID can't you just move the sim card over? I guess no matter what - couldn't you just transfer sim cards? You are still on ATT's network so it isn't a locking issue.

Reaction score
Actually, it appears that those of us with the grandfathered unlimited plan will be able to keep it, but we will have to be careful about how we transfer the plan. Just like I kept my unlimited plan when I switched from my 3Gs iPhone to a 4, so it appears that we'll be able to maintain our current plans here.

I came across this article from AppAdvice.com:

How-To: Transferring Your iPad’s Data Plan To iPad 2 :: App Advice

Hopefully this plays out the way it sounds. I'm hoping to get to an AT&T store to confirm on Friday PM.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Let us know how it all turns out.

Reaction score
Thanks. Let us know how it all turns out.

Stopped by AT&T this afternoon. The folks there didn't know, but they did make a phone call for me to what I assume was corporate and said that those with grandfathered unlimited data plans will not have any problem keeping it, but the IMEI will need to be switched, so you will likely need the sim and the original iPad to make the switch.

While I've been misled by these kind of things before, I'm feeling pretty confident that we will be fine.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Outstanding! Thanks a lot. :)

Reaction score
Just caught this on Mac Rumors. We knew it, but it's nice to have absolute confirmation.

AT&T to Permit Grandfathered Unlimited iPad Data Plans to Transfer to iPad 2 - Mac Rumors

Quoting Engadget, Mac Rumors reports,

If you were lucky enough to snag one of those coveted unlimited data plans with your original AT&T iPad, you won't have to toss it when upgrading next week. The carrier has confirmed to us that those who currently have the aforementioned plan will be able to keep it on their account when upgrading to the iPad 2, which in turns gives you no reason whatsoever to turn down the opportunity.

Reaction score
Go to:

www.att.com/ipadlanding

edit payment information link...then update the following two fields:
IMEI:
ICCID:

You get this info from the iPad (1 or 2) selct 'Settings' then 'General' then 'About'...

The IMEI and ICCID info is on that screen. No need to swap the SIM cards. This process outlined above transfers service instantly and does NOT change the plan type, billing, user info, or days remaining. Basically anytime an ATT customer wants to move a data plan the ATT iPad web page is all you need. No phone call!

Reaction score
Go to:

www.att.com/ipadlanding

IMEI:
ICCID:

You get this info from the iPad (1 or 2) selct 'Settings' then 'General' then 'About'...

The IMEI and ICCID info is on that screen. No need to swap the SIM cards. This process outlined above transfers service instantly and does NOT change the plan type, billing, user info, or days remaining. Basically anytime an ATT customer wants to move a data plan the ATT iPad web page is all you need. No phone call!
Dude, you rock. Thanks so much. That's the first time I've seen that posted anywhere. Seemed to work just fine. Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
I debated whether to start a new thread or tack this question on the Hotspot thread.

I am grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan for my iPad.
Does anyone know if I can transfer that if I upgrade to the new iPad (or for that matter if I had to replace the original due to loss or damage)?

It is important to me because:
1) Obviously affects the eventual upgrade decision
2) I have been considering dropping the 3G data plan altogether since Wifi coverage has gotten better--but I would hate to do that and later wish I had kept the unlimited plan

I can say from personal experience that YOU CAN transfer your unlimited data plan from an iPad 1 to your new iPad 2... My 1st gen baby was "iPad-napped" in early March... I called AT&T and they put my account on hold, when I got an ipad 2 I called-back and they walked me through the activation process and re-established my unlimited plan. Just be sure to call AT&T before activating 3G on the ipad2.

Reaction score
Go to:

www.att.com/ipadlanding

IMEI:
ICCID:

Just wanted to confirm that this procedure worked for me switching my grandfathered unlimited data plan from my iPad 1 to iPad 2. Just remember to reset your network settings on the new iPad for it to take effect.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did the recommended method on my new iPad2 and it worked great, with two caveats. First, ATT site very buggy, second, had to power down iPad to get it to take effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.