"Error Connecting to Server" - can't upload photos, etc.

Reaction score
I am a novice at using a mac...recently the hard drive on my 2006 20" imac completely went. I installed a new/larger hard drive as well as the updated Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

I use an online backup company to restore my files. They have all been restored and the Mac is running great except some minor issues. The biggest issue I am having is when trying to upload a photo some place for example to Facebook or in attaching to an email. I can share my photos in iphoto and upload it directly to facebook as with the mail, I can share the photo in iphoto directly to mail. It seems that when a program needs to search for my photos I am getting an error message stating:

Connection Failed: There was an error connecting to the server "(ip address)". Check the server name of IP address, and then try again.

I cannot figure out why this is happening or how to fix it. I feel that maybe with the installation of the new hard drive and OS a file in the system needs to be renamed to reflect that?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am a beginner when it comes to using a Mac aside from daily usage of applications.

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Try rearranging network devices in your Network System Preference. Click on the gear icon and select Set Service Order. Move Ethernet and Airport to the top, Firewire and Bluetooth to the bottom. Then try again. If Bluetooth was at the top of the list originally, there's a good chance that all network requests were trying to resolve through bluetooth and timing out before it got to Airport or Ethernet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.