Has anyone ever gone to the US to grab an iPad/iPhone before release date in Canada?

Reaction score
I am in Canada, but I really want an iPad 2. I would prefer to get it when it is released, instead of March 25th. Just wondering if anyone has bought any apple products released in the US before Canada, and if so, how it works at customs/border. Is it worth it? Any additional fees, etc

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am in Canada, but I really want an iPad 2. I would prefer to get it when it is released, instead of March 25th. Just wondering if anyone has bought any apple products released in the US before Canada, and if so, how it works at customs/border. Is it worth it? Any additional fees, etc

Hopefully I got the correct page. Here is the FAQ page for the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) regarding travel across the border:

General-Frequently Asked Questions

I think that if you're being 100% honest...there's a maximum dollar amount (somewhere around $100) of items you purchase that you can bring back across the border (US back into Canada)...before you have to pay some sort of tax or tariff.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Does 14 days make that much of a difference to you? You will have to pay duty if you are declaring it at customs not to mention the time wasted driving down there and back, and the time you spend in the line-up in the customs office waiting to pay your duty which could be sizeable. Based on purchases I have made in the past I am going to guess you might end up paying upwards of $100 duty.

Personally I plan to wait til the 25th at 00:01 or whenever we can first order online to place my order and sit back and wait for UPS to deliver it.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just curious how much it would really cost. I had no idea, so that is why I asked. Getting over to the states is really not that hard for me.

Reaction score
Okay, if you live close it's not such a big deal. For me it's a 2hr drive to the border, then the lineup to cross over the border. With gas here around $1.23 a litre and the cost of the duty, I'll wait.
I've decided I may get it engraved with something somewhat generic in case I ever want to sell it to upgrade.
Hope you don't get dinged too much for duty, or maybe you'll get a nice gadget-friendly border guard who will let you cross over without paying??? Good Luck!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've decided I may get it engraved with something somewhat generic in case I ever want to sell it to upgrade.!
Why even get it engraved then?

No point in trying to get one across the border. Be patient - wait until the end of the month.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yeah, I am going to wait...I took a moment to look back and realize it's not that big of a deal and I can wait haha

Reaction score
I want my iPad to be easily distinguished from the other possible iPad's that the rest of the family will want after they see and play around with mine!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want my iPad to be easily distinguished from the other possible iPad's that the rest of the family will want after they see and play around with mine!!

There are less permanent ways to personalize your iPad than getting it engraved.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not to mention you could drive all the way over here just to wait in line for them not to have any more. That would really stink.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yeah that would! Although, I have been pretty good at judging the lines in recent years. That is always a negative possibility.

Reaction score
Now, that being said, If I was in my home in florida and something came out that I really wanted I would just buy it and go carry on back with me! none the wiser.

Reaction score
Yes you could take that chance that you are not the random vehicle they pull over for a search. Usually people that do that ditch the box and any paperwork that came with it to do that, or mail them home. Either way, I can wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.