Apple Mail and Gmail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
Okay I am trying to set up my Gmail account to be available in Apple Mail.

So far I have been successful in setting up the Gmail as a new account in Mail using IMAP. I can send and recieve my Gmail through apple Mail. However every time I receive a new email it shows up in both the "Mailboxes-Inbox-Gmail" as well as "Gmail-[Gmail]-All Mail" when I view the message in my Inbox it does not show as read in All Mail.

Am I making any sense with this?
What can I do to fix this issue? Once I view the message once it should show as read in all my mailboxes ... right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
I'd like some guidance on this as well. I've set up a smart mailbox and the mail that should be in the smart mailbox is in there, but sometimes new mail occasionally still appears in the general "Inbox" tab, as well as the the smart mailbox. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Hmmmm. My Gmail never goes into my Mailboxes-Inbox-Gmail. It only appears in Gmail-[Gmail]-All Mail. Should it be appearing in my inbox?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The help file you directed me to is refering to Mail 3.0 and setting up Gmail using POP. I am using Mail 4 i believe (snow lepoard with all updates installed) and Gmail using IMAP.

Reaction score
I do not have this issue with Thunderbird so maybe you should consider switching your mail app.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With some digging I found a widget in Google labs "Advanced IMAP Controls".
This was able to show or hide the Labels in IMAP. Seems to be working okay.

Reaction score
Okay I am trying to set up my Gmail account to be available in Apple Mail.

So far I have been successful in setting up the Gmail as a new account in Mail using IMAP. I can send and recieve my Gmail through apple Mail. However every time I receive a new email it shows up in both the "Mailboxes-Inbox-Gmail" as well as "Gmail-[Gmail]-All Mail" when I view the message in my Inbox it does not show as read in All Mail.

Am I making any sense with this?
What can I do to fix this issue? Once I view the message once it should show as read in all my mailboxes ... right?

I just recently discovered an app called Sparrow (available in the app store) that costs a few dollars but there is an ad supported free version. I definitely recommend it since it is especially and exclusively tailored for Gmail users and integrates all your accounts seamlessly into one beautiful interface.
I checked and yes, once you view a message in Sparrow it is marked as read in the inbox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.