ipad 2 allowed as a hotspot for iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
they said that the ipad 2 can be used as a hotspot for iphones only. um. isnt a data plan required for an iphone anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's the other way around. The iPhone 4 will offer the hotspot feature, which the iPad and other devices can access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I was trying to get my head around that too! It still doesn't make sense as it is. I can use a mifi or similar hotspot to connect to current ipads. This makes it sound like it's locked down, but that's not possible. I must be missing something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I was trying to get my head around that too! It still doesn't make sense as it is. I can use a mifi or similar hotspot to connect to current ipads. This makes it sound like it's locked down, but that's not possible. I must be missing something.

You won't need a mifi or similar device. The iPhone 4 will be the hotspot.

...unless I'm understanding it incorrectly??

My biggest question is will this be a feature we have to pay for on our AT&T or Verizon bill each month or will it be free with the iOS update? Cause if my iPhone 4 becomes a hotspot for my wi-fi only iPad for free I will be excited.

Reaction score
Awesome! If it turns out that way MYmacROX, I too would be totally excited. That alone might sway me to take the plunge and finally snag myself an iPad. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

My biggest question is will this be a feature we have to pay for on our AT&T or Verizon bill each month or will it be free with the iOS update? Cause if my iPhone 4 becomes a hotspot for my wi-fi only iPad for free I will be excited.

Just conjecture here but im thinking it would be free . . . . There trying to take the JailBreakers out of the equation . . . . . . Good move IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I would assume it means that you'll be able to use it to the extent of your current data plan, and anything that goes over, you'll have to pay x amount of dollars for per MB.

Or not of course. Usually companies like ATT have plans outside of their regular cell service for devices which act as a modem *phone hot spot* And those services usually cost in the neighborhood of $60

Ah, life outside ATT, Verizon and the unjailbroken iPhone is great! Because there are PLENTY of places here in NYC which don't do free wifi, and that phone tether can come in real handy over 4G, especially in situations when I'm shooting tethered on location.

Doug

Reaction score

FYI... a snipit from a news release article .... check the last sentence... looks like the iPad is the one that becomes the hotspot. hmmmm...

Noting the importance of integrating software with hardware, Jobs debuted a new iteration of the operating system that powers the iFamily: iOS 4.3, which adds a handful of new features, such as a faster mobile web browser and iTunes home sharing. It also turns the iPad into a personal hotspot, connecting all nearby Apple gizmos to the web.

FoxNews.com - Apple's Steve Jobs Takes Stage to Unveil iPad 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

FYI... a snipit from a news release article .... check the last sentence... looks like the iPad is the one that becomes the hotspot. hmmmm...

Noting the importance of integrating software with hardware, Jobs debuted a new iteration of the operating system that powers the iFamily: iOS 4.3, which adds a handful of new features, such as a faster mobile web browser and iTunes home sharing. It also turns the iPad into a personal hotspot, connecting all nearby Apple gizmos to the web.

FoxNews.com - Apple's Steve Jobs Takes Stage to Unveil iPad 2

I have my doubts.

The iOS 4.3 page on apple.com LINK makes it sound like only the iPhone 4 is the hotspot. If you scroll down to the hotspot section of the features, it specifically says "Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4".

Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device.

No mention of using the feature on any other iOS device other than iPhone 4...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I checked my account with ATT (US) and to use tethering would require:

a) I give up my current unlimited data plan
b) select $45/month 4gb plan (DataPro 4GB for iPhone Tethering)

EDIT: I think from what I read it does work with any iPhone running IOS 4.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would assume it means that you'll be able to use it to the extent of your current data plan, and anything that goes over, you'll have to pay x amount of dollars for per MB.

No, for both AT&T and Verizon, the Hotspot tethering plan is an extra $20 per month on top of your data and you are given 2gb of data just for the tethering that is not part of your normal data plan.

It's really a big ripoff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This just doesn't make sense to me.

- If you have the hotspot plan for the iPhone ANY wifi device can connect to it and access the internet.
- If you have a wifi iPad, it can connect to ANY device acting as a hotspot.
- The iPad acting as a hotspot for only the iPhone is pointless and backwards since the phone itself is connected to the cell network.

So that only leaves the idea that there is some special connectivity between the iPhone and iPad. But what's special about it? Discounted rate? Totally free? I really doubt any provider would allow free hotspot connectivity, even if it's limited to one device.

Maybe there will be some $10 per month add-on to allow tethering between iPhone and iPad, using your existing data plan limits, which would be a step in the right direction the current ripoff tethering models. Especially if you can keep your unlimited plan. Or maybe it will be offered for free but you have to give up your unlimited plan to get it, which would also be a good move and help AT&T get rid of old unlimited plans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
- The iPad acting as a hotspot for only the iPhone is pointless and backwards since the phone itself is connected to the cell network.

That doesn't exist. Someone misunderstood and posted it, but that's not real.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.