iPad 2 Announced

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Anybody else disappointed you can't pre-order yet? :D

Reaction score
So i guess this is released on March 25th to us up here in Canadia? haha

Edit: apple website answered my question!

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Engadget has a hands-on video demonstrating the A5 speed. Joshua Topolsky uses the term "blazingly fast" at least once or twice. LINK

Also a funny comment at the 1:50 mark. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Anybody else disappointed you can't pre-order yet? :D

Yeah, I don't quite get that. I guess they don't want to sell out before the iPads actually leave the Pacific Rim? :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah, I don't quite get that. I guess they don't want to sell out before the iPads actually leave the Pacific Rim? :D

Along the same thought...maybe internet orders starting March 2nd (for eventual home delivery) would be so great...that there would be no remaining inventory for the "brick & mortar" Apple Stores.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Kind of annoying the "tech specs" pages doesn't mention the RAM, but seems pretty safe that it's the same low 256 otherwise it would have been mentioned in the keynote. (sigh)
Supposedly the RAM didn't change but I can't seem to find the page where I read that right now.

And in reference to my previous post, iTunes 10.2 is now available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
You can pre-order via the store to pick it up there. If you order online then its a courier job and they usually like to get them too you before the local store opens. If you order online you can have it delivered to work, home or arrange to pick up from the courier depot

So, if I go to an Apple store in the next couple days and pre-order one, I can come back on the 11th and pick it up? But, if I order one online, I can't do so until the 11th, and then I'll have to wait till it is shipped?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It's a solid device for what it does, despite some of its weaknesses. But, I'm really really REALLY bored to death of the iOS UI. It looks really long in the tooth to me. Hanging out with some friends at a hookah bar the other night, there were those with iPads, iPhones etc etc and then me and maybe a couple others with assorted Droid units.

Looking at all the iOS units really confirmed just how bland they are compared to the Droids with their versatile widget configurations and such. And honestly, nobody with an iPhone was able to present anything that made my EVO 4G look bad. In fact, after showing them all the cool things I was able to do with just the UI configurations in relation to launching apps and system info etc.. they had to resort to: "Yeah, but can you talk and use data at the same time ? No.. no you can't, haha ha ha".

I don't futz around with my UI stuff all that much, but it's awesome to be able to when I get bored of the current configuration. But iOS just seems dated on a whole other level at this point. Of course, this is all IMVHO.

OTOH, if I had to choose between an iPad and one of the Android tablets, that would be a tough one. I don't think the Droid tablets are there just yet. The one thing that holds me back from getting an iPad at this point, is not being able to use anything (solid) other than iPhoto for displaying a portable portfolio. But that's an whole other thread and getting off topic I think.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So, if I go to an Apple store in the next couple days and pre-order one, I can come back on the 11th and pick it up? But, if I order one online, I can't do so until the 11th, and then I'll have to wait till it is shipped?

From what I'm seeing, you can't pre-order. You can either show up at a store on 3/11 after 5:00 PM and wait in line for one, or you can order it online from the Apple Store on 3/11.

Reaction score
They could improve iOS UI. iPad has no realy competitors right now. Honeycomb has very good UI and stuff like widgets, but in every other aspect ipad is better.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Funny story, my mother is getting an iPad 2. She called Apple about not being able to order today. And the support lady thought my mother was talking about the iPad 1 and was baffled. Then the lady admitted, Apple doesn't tell them anything.

That's fine. But where has this lady been for the last couple of months?! She must have had no idea about the media event today! LOL Get me to answer Apple's phones, jeez!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Wife now has iPad 2 Envy!

My wife and I watched the Keynote from the Apple site while eating dinner. When we were done she turned to me and said, "You texted me that the iPad 2 looked pretty good," and I said to myself "They can't have changed it that much. It's only been a year."
She then went on to admit that she was surprised to find that she was disappointed that she no longer had the newest technology. This is from my non-techno wife, who now wants an iPad 2! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Can we switch wives for a little while Razor? Purely for the new tech.. of course. ;)

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Can we switch wives for a little while Razor? Purely for the new tech.. of course. ;)

Doug
Sorry . . . She's irreplaceable. Hard to find someone with the patience to put up with me. :)

Reaction score

Holy Crap. It's not fair! The Canadian site, Apple.ca only has the "notify me" button. When you click on it you get a box to enter your email address to be notified when it is available to buy. I guess Apple must think Canada is one of those tiny little islands up at the Arctic Circle or something instead of the very large country directly north of the US. Come on Apple, we do other things up here besides play hockey, EH? (tongue in cheek)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Holy Crap. It's not fair! The Canadian site, Apple.ca only has the "notify me" button. When you click on it you get a box to enter your email address to be notified when it is available to buy. I guess Apple must think Canada is one of those tiny little islands up at the Arctic Circle or something instead of the very large country directly north of the US. Come on Apple, we do other things up here besides play hockey, EH? (tongue in cheek)

I noticed in the Keynote when they listed all the countries it will be available
Job's mentioned waiting on approval from a few so that might not be Apple's
doing.

Reaction score
I like the design for cover new iPad 2 cover.
It's so cool and convenience, ipad will save the power when it be covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What interested me a lot was garageband for ipad. it's like "goodbye need for any musical talent". They turned making music into a science. I'm sure the musical pros will not use it cause it takes away the organic feel of jamming and writing your own music. Maybe if a pro on the train or something has an idea they can use the ipad there and then with headphones and get their ideas down so back at home they can flesh them out. That'd work too.

But for the rest of us who have zero musical talent I think it'll be great to make some music that actually does not sound like trash. it won't be a masterpiece either but it'll be alright. And that's the point, something relatively good and fun to create.

And I so see music teachers using this app as a tool to help their students learn music. So yeah I'm really loving this new garageband for ipad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.