• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Steve Jobs onstage at iPad event

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
He looks a little thin, but otherwise pretty good.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm glad he's presenting, so we don't have to read all the media spin about how this is proof he's extremely sick had he not been present.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed. He didn't say too much and didn't demo anything. But him being there does keep the media vultures at bay. Which is good for everyone.

And also Jony Ive was in the front row if I read correctly. Which might be a point saying "contrary to the rumours I have not left Apple yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This is good news. It is good to see him so healthy looking and squashes the pics thrown out there a few weeks ago outside the cancer clinic.

It shows he has still been doing a lot even though he has been going through treatment . . .
If he wasnt there, it would have worried a few then having to explain why he wasnt there. Having him there would have been easier for them and would have taken away from the event.  didnt want that.

Imagine it now front page news after the event.

"Steve Jobs wasnt present at the event. What is wrong and he must be dying"
"side note iPad2 released today"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Let's not be unrealistic about all of this. No one wants Steve to be sick, but he is. He IS dying, and in a manner that is extremely unfortunate. Him being there at this point is all about posturing for the board and stock holders. That pretty much goes for anything he does these days.

I don't know what it is about people (in general), that makes us so afraid of our mortality, that we have to deny things like this and pretend that everything is always rainbows and puppy dogs. As crappy as Cancer or any other horrible disease is, it's a part of life and if we can't avoid it, we have to embrace it, so as to not get too hung up on it and move on.

I'm pretty sure that as a Buddhist, Steve's attitude isn't much different than that, but of course I can't speak for him.. He's a very strong willed man, and loves doing what he does as it keeps him going. No doubt he doesn't want to be sick, but I'm also sure that he's not spending his days in denial. I think it's actually really awesome that he decided to show his face, knowing how much it would mean to everybody, even if he realizes the trivialities of it all.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
When is the keynote going to be available to watch? Anyone know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
When is the keynote going to be available to watch? Anyone know?

That's what I'd like to know. I can't do those "blow by blow" blog ones. Too impersonal for my taste.

Doug

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Let's not be unrealistic about all of this. No one wants Steve to be sick, but he is. He IS dying, and in a manner that is extremely unfortunate. Him being there at this point is all about posturing for the board and stock holders. That pretty much goes for anything he does these days.

I don't know what it is about people (in general), that makes us so afraid of our mortality, that we have to deny things like this and pretend that everything is always rainbows and puppy dogs. As crappy as Cancer or any other horrible disease is, it's a part of life and if we can't avoid it, we have to embrace it, so as to not get too hung up on it and move on.

I'm pretty sure that as a Buddhist, Steve's attitude isn't much different than that, but of course I can't speak for him.. He's a very strong willed man, and loves doing what he does as it keeps him going. No doubt he doesn't want to be sick, but I'm also sure that he's not spending his days in denial. I think it's actually really awesome that he decided to show his face, knowing how much it would mean to everybody, even if he realizes the trivialities of it all.

Doug

The national enquire was exaggerating him out to be an enfeebled mess. They hired a random doctor to diagnose Steve Jobs from a photo of his butt and a weak, mangled looking hand. Then they quoted the doctor from his cheap observation that he's within weeks of dying. So naturally, we'd want to prove that they were wrong in their cheap way to get attention. It's just conjured news that is misrepresenting and overdone.

It's true his health is deteriorating. Yet, we clearly see that he appears to be doing fine, despite that fact of his life-threatening condition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dude, forget the Inquirer. No one other than utter tards would pay attention to anything that rag put out. Heck, I don't trust ANY of the media to accurately portray what happens in real life. I mean for *'s sake, the media refuses to even put a race to a crime when describing a perp:

"Tall"
Brown Jacket"
"White sneakers"

Thank you news outlets. I'll be sure to look out for any nefarious characters donning such garb. I didn't need to know if the person was black, white, Asian, Hispanic or anything else for that matter. But white sneakers ? Great.

The fact is, he has pancreatic cancer. It's not something that just goes away, regardless of transplant status. I've worked in health care for a while, and have seen enough people die from various forms of cancer to know that the things he's dealing with are too severe to hope for the best for very long. I hate being glum about it, but it's just reality. I don't want the guy to be sick.. I'd give him my own organs if I thought it would mean him living for another 50 years.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I was more excited to know Ive was in the front row. And less excited to see Jobs there.

C

chas_m

The fact is, he has pancreatic cancer.

Actually, we don't know this at all. We know he HAD a rare form of pancreatic cancer, not the sure-to-kill-you common variety. The kind Steve had can be and is curable, though most survivors end up with other conditions (like severe diabetes) as a side effect of the treatment.

I've worked in health care for a while

Not long enough to make these kinds of statements, I'd say.

I'm not saying Steve will live another 50 years, or even 10. I don't know. I'm just saying that your statement is factually inaccurate.

Here's some information for those people who are actually interested in the rare islet-cell neuroendocrine tumor Steve had. The short version is that the procedure used to save Steve's life back in 2004 can have serious complications associated with it, and it is these complications that may have caused the 2007 liver transplant to be needed and could be part of what he's dealing with now.

It is possible that the pancreatic cancer has returned -- but it's also quite likely it hasn't, and his problems are due to other factors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
Steve Jobs is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, we don't know this at all. We know he HAD a rare form of pancreatic cancer, not the sure-to-kill-you common variety. The kind Steve had can be and is curable, though most survivors end up with other conditions (like severe diabetes) as a side effect of the treatment.

Not long enough to make these kinds of statements, I'd say.

I'm not saying Steve will live another 50 years, or even 10. I don't know. I'm just saying that your statement is factually inaccurate.

Here's some information for those people who are actually interested in the rare islet-cell neuroendocrine tumor Steve had. The short version is that the procedure used to save Steve's life back in 2004 can have serious complications associated with it, and it is these complications that may have caused the 2007 liver transplant to be needed and could be part of what he's dealing with now.

It is possible that the pancreatic cancer has returned -- but it's also quite likely it hasn't, and his problems are due to other factors.

Hmm.. Hadn't even seen this reply until the post above mine now..

Anyway, all I had ever heard was that he had Pancreatic Cancer, which is rarely survivable. This I do know, from working in the field. I never investigated the status of his tumor etc, so my misinformed statement I suppose is simply due to not knowing the complete facts to begin with. And that is my fault.
But if it pleases you to simply try and one up me or prove me wrong, I'm fine with that too. I'm not debating someone's health for the sake of arguing, and I hope you realize that.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.