Macbook keeps dropping wireless connection

Reaction score
Hi, I've just brought a macbook pro and it keeps dropping its wireless internet connection. Sometimes it will stay connected for about 10 mins but other times it will last about 30 seconds. To get the internet back I have to turn Airport off and on again.
I think the problem might be with the router though because whilst the macbook keeps dropping out, my Playstation iphone and other netbook have constant connection. Also when I take my macbook to friends houses I never have any problems.
I've checked for updates on the macbook and it's all up to date. I've also unplugged the router several times. I have good signal strength, I've tried changing the channels and I've changed the password from WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES] to WPA2-PSK[AES] but none of this has helped.
I'm with virgin media and the router is a Netgear VMDG280.
Hope someone can help..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The encryption you're using is OK so leave that be. I would try changing the channel you're communicating on and also make sure the router is broadcasting your network SSID. (Network name.)

If all else fails, perhaps a new router might be in order. Personally, I do not like or use anything Netgear. Most of the knowledgeable folks here recommend DLink or an Apple router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.