iMac wont take keyboard or mouse input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
Hi all, my 20 month old iMac 24” 3Gz has started some odd behaviour with symptoms that are almost like no input from either mouse (other than simple movement) or keyboard is being ‘accepted’.

Start-up now runs like this – normal Apple boot up screen followed by a blue screen. From this there is no further change but pressing the on button briefly will bring up the normal display. However, then the ‘dead keyboard’ symptom is present. To clarify, moving the mouse over an apps icon does not make the apps name appear as usual – it literally is as though the iMac will accept no input at all.

A couple of times it has been ok for a minute or so after booting before the symptom recurs

However, I’ve seen it do a Time Machine backup, re-acquire the WiFi and it will happily act as the print server for a couple of MacBooks, so ‘inside’, it does seem to be functional – however, I have absolutely no control – I can’t shutdown using the mouse nor try a disk repair/OS reload – in fact, I daren’t now load a DVD just in case I cannot eject it afterwards.

I’m going to try the ‘remove-plug-hold-power-button-in-for-5-secs’ ploy tonight to see if that has any effect.

Other than that – any ideas? Or is this a back-to-Apple jobbie? Fortunately I have a 3 yr warranty package with just over a year to go.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was going to suggest booting with your install media and do a verify and repair routine for the hard drive. Or, run the Apple Hardware Test from your DVD.

However, if you fear the DVD will not eject, that doesn't leave us much to work with. Since your iMac is still covered by Apple care, it may be best to make an appointment with the genius bar at your local Apple store and have them check it out.

OP
rholmes01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
Call Support, only solution was to re-install the OS but at least no hardware failure.

Fault has gone since the reload and have restored back all of what I needed to (thank gawd for Time Machine) plus re-installed some apps - so.... all ok again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.