• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS 10.7 Lion feature/rumour roundup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant :)

One of my Favourites

New useful piece of information learned. Thank you. ;D

Reaction score
I have to say that installing Lion was a huge time wasting affair for me. It corrupted my Adobe Creative Suite CS3 and no solution offered worked. The wifi keeps dropping out - a common problem it would seem from other postings on the internet. My Filemaker programme crashed on opening. At times the computer speed was so slow you simply had to reboot it.

A big disappointment that almost makes Windows Vista seem acceptable by comparison.

After 2 days messing around I am now back to Snow Leopard, and that's where I'm staying until they sort out the vast problems with this new OS. I doubt I'll get my money back though!

I received an email from Apple perhaps 6 weeks ago trumpeting the imminent arrival of Lion, and stating what a fantastic new OS it was going to be.

Here's what it didn't tell you:

No more Rosetta, so my old Office for Mac 2005 would no longer work, or any other Power PC programmes. Why? There is no reason to stop this, other than built in obsolescence = greed.

My Adobe CS3 programmes played up. CS3 is fine for me, it's only a few years old and does everything I want. InDesign wouldn't print, but then I was told to remove some files, which worked. Except every time I opened Acrobat Pro, it posted a warning window that without these removed files, it wouldn't function properly. Upgrade to CS5.5: £900+. No thank you.

My Filemaker Pro 8.5 crashed repeatedly. Some plonk on this forum said that I should upgrade to the latest version. Why should I have to cough up nearly £200 to upgrade my database when it performed perfectly well as it was under Snow Leopard?

Wi fi problems galore.

Markedly slower processing speeds (my iMac is only 2 years old).

So what does Lion offer? Fancy graphics. Big deal. Loss of functionality of older programmes. An opportunity to spend money unnecessarily just to satisfy this new OS. I think it is pretty poor customer service and the designers should have incorporated continuing service to us Mac users who are perfectly happy with our existing products.

I've now erased it and restored Snow Leopard. 2 days out of my life that would have been better spent focussing on running my business.

0/10.

Adobe CS3 seems to be working fine for others on Lion, with the exception of a bug that causes its programs to crash when you try to print from them. That can be fixed by removing the following files:

/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj

Apple just addressed the WiFi issues with Lion in the 10.7.1 update. Maybe you should've waited a couple more days. ;)

FileMaker has kept known issues with Lion documented for some time now, and they have stated that only version 11 will be supported to work with Lion going forward. Since you're a couple versions behind on Adobe CS, I'm guessing that's probably the case with this program too. You might want to read up on the apps you use before a major OS upgrade next time. It's not as if you needed Lion.

Sorry, but Lion was promoted to me by email from Apple claiming it was fab. No mention of having to research whether or not my programmes that worked happily under Snow Leopard would still function. And why don't they? That could have been built into Lion. I was encouraged to install it and I did. And if you really think for others it is working well, I suggest you get out there on the net and peruse the volumes of criticism about this shoddy product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I have to say that installing Lion was a huge time wasting affair for me. It corrupted my Adobe Creative Suite CS3 and no solution offered worked. The wifi keeps dropping out - a common problem it would seem from other postings on the internet. My Filemaker programme crashed on opening. At times the computer speed was so slow you simply had to reboot it.

A big disappointment that almost makes Windows Vista seem acceptable by comparison.

After 2 days messing around I am now back to Snow Leopard, and that's where I'm staying until they sort out the vast problems with this new OS. I doubt I'll get my money back though!

Adobe CS3 seems to be working fine for others on Lion, with the exception of a bug that causes its programs to crash when you try to print from them. That can be fixed by removing the following files:

/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj

Apple just addressed the WiFi issues with Lion in the 10.7.1 update. Maybe you should've waited a couple more days. ;)

FileMaker has kept known issues with Lion documented for some time now, and they have stated that only version 11 will be supported to work with Lion going forward. Since you're a couple versions behind on Adobe CS, I'm guessing that's probably the case with this program too. You might want to read up on the apps you use before a major OS upgrade next time. It's not as if you needed Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.