Major Macbook 6,1 Boot problems.

Reaction score
I have a massive problem with my macbook unibody 6,1 late 2009.

The problem is that I installed windows 7 with bootcamp. I tried to make my windows partition bigger with ParagonPartitionMan11. It failed and now will only try to boot in windows. On which I get an error saying no bootable device insert windows cd. I did this and it wont install on the partition.

I cannot boot from OSX install disk holding "C" doesn't work. I can't Reset PRAM (startup info is kept there) for some reason.

The only time it will go anywhere near a apple boot is without a harddrive in and even then it wont boot from CD to change the startup disk.

I'v taken the harddive out and formatted it in target disk mode from another mac I have (broken screen but still has firewire) and reinstalled OSX.

my keyboard does not work on my Macbook unibody 6,1 so I use an external will this affect the boot commands?

Is there anyone out there that can help or tell if there is a PRAM battery on this model so I can reset it physically?

edit: I had problems from the start booting with bootcamp. I had to use system prefs to tell it to boot into windows (startup manager pressing alt on boot has never worked) and it would always boot windows until I used bootcamp options in windows to bot OSX then it would boot OSX all the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know anything about the utility you used to try increasing the size of your Windows partition. But I suspect that it was not designed to be used with a machine that boots from an EFI partition. (Your MacBook) As a matter of fact, Paragon has a utility for OS X that is designed to increase or decrease the size of the Boot Camp partition without destroying the boot sector or data. It's called "CampTune". ($19.95)

I suspect you're looking at a complete reinstall of everything. In other words, erase the hard drive, reinstall OS X, and after that Windows again.

You first should try to reset the PRAM | NVRAM on the machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeh the only problem is that I can't use Boot commands like PRAM reset for some reason the only one that it responds to is force eject. So I cant do a full install because I cant reset PRAM or boot from CD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why can't you do a PRAM | NVRAM reset? If the machine turns on, you should at least be able to do that.

OP
M
Reaction score
As I have said the comp will not do any boot commands like reset PRAM, start in safe mode, force start from CD & all others apart from force eject which does works.

I got this comp from work as it had problems with the keyboard. So I have to plug in an external keyboard, I don't know if this is a problem but I know it shouldn't. I'v tried many keyboards and even a microsoft one... bit to no luck.

I'v not found anything on the internet about where the physical PAM battery is held on the late 2009 unibodys to manually remove it for a while to reset it.

Edit: I dont even get chimes and the only time it will try and even boot osx is when no hardrive is present. I'v even gone as far as letting it get to that point and pluggin in the harddrive. But still I get the ? folder. Even a different HDD tries to boot windows.

I'v formatted and installed a new osx only on the hardrive and it still tries to boot windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then, remove the hard drive from the machine and use the boot DVD to try and reset the PRAM | NVRAM. If that won't work, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and see if you can get the info you need from one of their step by step take apart procedures.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeh I can't make it boot the dvd at all even without a HD in the mac to reset PRAM.

Thats a nice site though I'v boockmarked for future.

hmmm looks like the logicboard is playing up big time. Problem being it costs a fortune for a new one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may be able to pick up a refurbished logic board at less cost. But if you do, make sure it's from a reliable source and not some "quick seller" on eBay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.