Uninstall Software?

Reaction score
My neighbor has a Mac Desktop with Skype installed, for some reason she can't bring up Skype anymore. I'm a website developer and use a PC. I tried to figure out how to uninstall Skype and then re-install it to no avail.

Can someone point me in the right direction so I can help her?

Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,
Leonard Michael

Reaction score
Generally I've found that just dragging the App to the Trash works. Alternatively, download AppZapper (free for 5 uses) and then use that to get rid of Skype.

Reinstall, and you should be set (assuming she doesn't mess with the application the same way that she did it before).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to MacForums Leonard . . . . Here is a run down for you !!!!

Trash the Skype application. That's about it!

Now if you want to erase every trace of Skype:

Delete the file Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

Delete the file User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

Delete the folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype

Go to System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items and remove Skype from the list. It would be there if you have enabled Skype to launch when you log in to Mac OS X.

OR you can Download AppTrap and once it is installed (in system preferences) all you need to do is Trash Skype and it will trash all those other files/folders for you

HTH

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
Okay. I will try that solution.

I think I deleted Safari on mistake. How can I get that back?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Open the Terminal application on her computer and paste in this followed by the enter key. Terminal is found in Applications>Utilities.

Since Apple uses links that timeout after a few moments, you will have to get Firefox first and then follow vansmiths link for Safari.

Code:
curl -O http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.14&os=osx&lang=en-US

This will download Firefox to her User folder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How can I access the internet if I lost Safari though?

The same way you're posting to this forum. Download Safari to your machine, copy it to a thumb drive and transfer it to her Mac and install it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How can I access the internet if I lost Safari though?
As chscag noted, you have access to a machine with a browser. Download it there.

Open the Terminal application on her computer and paste in this followed by the enter key. Terminal is found in Applications>Utilities.

Since Apple uses links that timeout after a few moments, you will have to get Firefox first and then follow vansmiths link for Safari.

Code:
curl -O http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.14&os=osx&lang=en-US

This will download Firefox to her User folder.
That command won't work - the link isn't to a proper file. Change that to the following and you're good to go:
Code:
curl -O http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.14/mac/en-US/Firefox%203.6.14.dmg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Huh, thought it worked when I tried it. Oh well, thanks for correcting it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.