Safari Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
When I open Safari I almost always open the the same one or two web sites. Is there a way to open Safari and have it open the sites you want automatically?

Have had my mac since Dec last year. Well worth the change.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
make a bookmark folder named startup or whatever. put your bookmarked sites in this folder.

go to safari prefs... general... new windows open with... then pick the folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Of course, you can make one of those sites your home page.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
make a bookmark folder named startup or whatever. put your bookmarked sites in this folder.

Thanks robduckyworth that works great. Just what I was looking for.

If I could ask a follow up question. When I open the web site the font is too small for me so I use the A to resize it. Is there a way to set it to open at a size that I like?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks robduckyworth that works great. Just what I was looking for.

If I could ask a follow up question. When I open the web site the font is too small for me so I use the A to resize it. Is there a way to set it to open at a size that I like?

Thanks

Go to Safari >Preferences > Advanced > Universal Access > never use fonts smaller than .....

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
there you go, sorted :) glad i could help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Top Sites, anyone?

Never! Nor would I recommend that resource hog to anyone. I have it completely disabled. Just my personal preference...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
Never! Nor would I recommend that resource hog to anyone. I have it completely disabled. Just my personal preference...

I never us my "top sites" either.

How do I go about disabling that feature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The easy way would be to simply set Safari to open new windows and tabs with something other than top sites. Safari > Preferences > General is where you want to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks guys.

The following is what I did last night after reading this thread.
I went into Safari preferences, went through each category and unchecked anything having to do with "Top Sites". Hope that that 'disabled' it in the background too, because as of right now I can see no evidence of it at all when I open and use Safari.
;D

C

chas_m

Personally, I depend on it (though I will say that yes, Apple could stand to optimise the feature).

I monitor a number of different websites and love seeing when one of them needs my attention by a little star (content changed) in the corner when I first fire up Safari. Periodic cleaning of the cache (which I should haven't to do, Apple) makes it work fast and slick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The easy way would be to simply set Safari to open new windows and tabs with something other than top sites. Safari > Preferences > General is where you want to go.

Ok, thanks guys.

The following is what I did last night after reading this thread.
I went into Safari preferences, went through each category and unchecked anything having to do with "Top Sites". Hope that that 'disabled' it in the background too, because as of right now I can see no evidence of it at all when I open and use Safari.
;D

There's more to it than that. For Leopard:

To completely disable Top Sites, go to Safari > Preferences > General

New windows open with: Top Sites
Change it to something else. Obviously, you can do the same for New Tabs.

(You'll also see Top Sites in the Show All Bookmarks window. Drag that up, don't stop when it first stops moving. It will be reduced to a thin bar.)

Now delete the Image Cache. Choose Safari > Reset Safari... and select Remove All Webpage Preview Images. Click Reset. Now go to YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and select the Webpage Previews folder. Press Cmd-I and click Locked. Now it won't accumulate a jpeg and png of every web page you visit. I saved over 500MB of disk space!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's more to it than that. For Leopard:

To completely disable Top Sites, go to Safari > Preferences > General

New windows open with: Top Sites
Change it to something else. Obviously, you can do the same for New Tabs.

(You'll also see Top Sites in the Show All Bookmarks window. Drag that up, don't stop when it first stops moving. It will be reduced to a thin bar.)

Now delete the Image Cache. Choose Safari > Reset Safari... and select Remove All Webpage Preview Images. Click Reset. Now go to YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and select the Webpage Previews folder. Press Cmd-I and click Locked. Now it won't accumulate a jpeg and png of every web page you visit. I saved over 500MB of disk space!

Thank you toMACsh, for the detailed and easy to follow directions. I followed your directions exactly. I learned a lot (for me), and screwed up once along the way on the Safari Reset but went back and corrected my goof.

*you might think my signature line is 'cute', but unfortunately it's all to true for me*:Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another way: make a .webloc file

When I open Safari I almost always open the the same one or two web sites. Is there a way to open Safari and have it open the sites you want automatically?

Have had my mac since Dec last year. Well worth the change.

I saw this method the other day in Macworld:

Open the site(s) in your browser
Drag the icon next to the URL ("favicon"?) to the Desktop
Go to Accounts in System Preferences
Select your account in the left column
Click the Login Items tab on the right
Drag the .webloc file(s) into the Login Items list

The next time you log in, those sites will open automagically in your default browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.