sound for incoming emails?

C

catchawave

On my emac, when new emails come in while I'm on the net, (I've got it set on purr on both my emac and ibook) I can hear the loud purr sound - letting me know a new mail has come in. Along with the number on the mail icon.
On the ibook, there is no sound when email comes in. Why not? I've got the volume turned up. When I'm sending email out and it's done going out, I hear a soft whirring sound - is that normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Your iBook should make a sound when new mail arrives.

Open Mail and go to Preferences --> General and look at the third option down ("New Mail Sound"). You can select your sound there.

When you send mail, you should get the "whoosh" sound if you're running Panther or Tiger.

Hope this helps!

OP
C

catchawave

caribiner23 said:
Your iBook should make a sound when new mail arrives.

Open Mail and go to Preferences --> General and look at the third option down ("New Mail Sound"). You can select your sound there.

When you send mail, you should get the "whoosh" sound if you're running Panther or Tiger.

Hope this helps!

thanks - I hadn't been to the "New mail sound" in preferences -- I changed that.
And yes, I'm running on Tiger. That's good news about the whoosh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.