Advice needed for Quad core g5 powermac

Reaction score
Hi hope someone can help me.

I think the logic board in my g5 has gone. This is annoying but I can live without the computer but I have a lot of photos and music on the hard drive I want to get before I get rid of it. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

When you get another computer, pop the hard drive into an external case, connect via Firewire and clone or copy.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i really want the case to one of those G5's ;)

i know this is irrelevant. sorry haha. but yep, just whack it in an enclosure and you can grab all your data.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Can either of you advise me the best hard drive case to get and I can transfer onto my pc. By the way if you live in London you are welcome to have the case.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i do live in london! whereabouts are you? i woud pay a little bit for it. in fact i can give you a sata enclosure if you want one. (any sata hard drive enclosure with a usb connection will do btw)

btw.. are you sure its the logic board?

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm in barnet. If you think it's worth anything then great. I don't know for sure it's the logic board but when I've looked about online it seems the problem. When I turn the computer on 2 red lights come on at the front of the computer and the fans sound like an airplane taking off and it may boot up or it may not. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well I am further away than London but have quite a bit to do with Dual Cores, and if it is the 2.5GHz version, the odds will be on the liquid coolant escaping and killing the processors and logic board.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if its as harry says, and the logic board/processors are dead its not worth much anyway. it would be more costly to fix it than buy a new one.

im just interested in the case, not bothered about the parts, so if you decide you would like to get rid of it, pm me and ill give you a bit of money for it (i havent got alot mind....) you could probably flog the RAM off if it hasnt been damaged.

Navigator USB2 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure USB 2.0 External HDD Caddy w/ OneTouck Backup: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

this is the enclosure i used (so i can confirm it works with macs.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.