• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Verizon dropping unlimited iPhone data plan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No surprise there. Maybe a small surprise that the unlimited data offering will last all the way until "summer". I half expected it to have a 30-day or 60-day lifespan.

Reaction score
Glad to be in before the cap...I am loving my new Verizon iPhone! I don't use a tone of data, but I do use close to 2BG a month, so not having to worry ab out accidentally going over at the end of the billing cycle is a bonus for me.

I am an Alltel refugee that was divested by Verizon and sent packing to AT&T. AT&T was a nightmare and the transition didn't help...I sweat that I will never go back to AT&T as long as I live!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
In their FAQ section on the day of the VZW iPhone announcement, it did say the unlimited data plan was going to be for a limited time only. But it was anyone's guess as to how soon.

A month ago, my family called VZW wanting to know more about them doing away with unlimited. Customer support said they have always had unlimited and didn't see it going away. So much for that. :p

Now, what about Android users? I don't see any general statements. They are all pretty much directed at the iPhone not having unlimited.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm just wondering if all the AT&T haters who ranted about how evil and customer hating AT&T was when they got rid of unlimited, after years of offering it, are going to lambast Verizon for doing it also....

Reaction score
I suspect Android users are in the same boat. When Verizon stops unlimited data plans I'm sure it will apply to all their smartphones. They might let contracts end before the cap applies but who knows for sure. Hopefully T-Mobile doesn't follow suit. I probably would never go over a 2GB limit anyway but it's nice to not think about it. I like my Pandora radio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I was trying to decide if I wanted to jump ship now to get grandfathered into the unlimited plan - or wait for the next iphone in summer. It seems like the ploy worked as I jumped ship and went to the Verizon iPhone so I could get unlimited data. The summer switch over would correspond to a newer iPhone being released and as such - no need for extra incentive to go to Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
That is going to turn down a bunch of wanting to switch users. I agree with you.

- Kyle

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I was trying to decide if I wanted to jump ship now to get grandfathered into the unlimited plan - or wait for the next iphone in summer. It seems like the ploy worked as I jumped ship and went to the Verizon iPhone so I could get unlimited data. The summer switch over would correspond to a newer iPhone being released and as such - no need for extra incentive to go to Verizon.

Except the latest rumors don't have Verizon getting the next iPhone this summer, it could be a GSM-only update. Verizon wouldn't get it until later, or they may not be on parallel update paths until the release of the LTE-version of the iPhone in 2012.

Of course, who knows if that will be the case. It's about as concrete of a rumor as the iPad 3 coming this fall.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorta thinking this might not be such a bad thing, even though I'm grandfathered into unlimited data. If they do have a $15 data plan, I could get my wife an iPhone too and be at $30 worth of data for two phones. Now, I'd have to be a little more conservative about use, but right now I'm not really going much above 2GB in fairly heavy use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Except the latest rumors don't have Verizon getting the next iPhone this summer, it could be a GSM-only update. Verizon wouldn't get it until later, or they may not be on parallel update paths until the release of the LTE-version of the iPhone in 2012.

Of course, who knows if that will be the case. It's about as concrete of a rumor as the iPad 3 coming this fall.

That is hard for for me to believe as the Verizon iPhone has the Qualcomm CDMA/GSM chip in it.
Verizon iPhone 4 teardown reveals Qualcomm ‘world phone’ chip, new antenna design, and more – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home
So since we are talking rumors - I would suspect that this same baseband chip will be used for both ATT/Verizon and we will see a unified phone this summer - no LTE. A kind of 4GS upgrade. It would follow Apple's schedule of 3G, 3GS, 4G, 4GS. As you don't here many rumors of new cases being fabricated in China I would say this also points to a speed update, maybe a few new features like HD video or something a la the 3GS - same form factor as the 3G, faster, better camera. (This is all IMHO/SWAG)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
You mean to tell me that Verizon wants more money? I AM SHOCKED

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.