Missing Safari AdBlock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Thought I would give Safari AdBlock a trial so downloaded it from MacUpdate and installed, well I thought I had as the installer went though all the processes and I got the notification that it had installed.:D
Opened Safari > Preferences > General expecting to see a Icon next to Advanced. There was nothing, a little puzzled:Smirk: I searched Library > Safari > extensions folder without a result also used spotlight and nothing was found.

Reinstalled again and same thing.
Is there an issue re this download or what am I missing never had issues downloading and installing before.

As a test I went to the Safari extensions gallery > productivity Safari AdBlock and installed from there, it placed an Icon on my Safari menu bar and it works:D well but not any Preferences Icon as shown on the MacUpdate site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
There are two Safari AdBlock extensions out there.
Once places an icon in the Safari preferences next to Advanced with all the AdBlock preferences. This isn't an extension but a SIMBL plugin.
And it installs itself to Mac HD/Library/Application\ Support/SIMBL/Plugins/Safari\ AdBlocker.bundle
This one has no Toolbar icon. (The Stop sign with the hand)

The other is a real extension and adds itself to the list in the Extensions preference tab.
It installs itself to /Users/###/Library/Safari/Extensions
This one has a Toolbar icon which is used to access the AdBlock preferences.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I have just tried it again, and followed your path Mac HD/Library/Application\ Support/SIMBL/Plugins/Safari\ AdBlocker.bundle.

But I do not have an Application folder
only Application support folder as screen shot, so am a little lost. Sorry but found images easer to explain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Sorry, I forgot not everybody can read UNIX paths :p
When ever you see a \ in a path that means the folder/file has a space in it.
/Application\ Support/ = /Application Support/.

Image: http://oc.tc/9ua38n0hx4t0a3d

Can you see the Safari AdBlocker.bundle? If you can, and it still doesn't appear in Safari next to the Advanced tab you should try and restart the computer. Maybe that will get it to recognize.
And, I just got the most recent version of Safari AdBlocker from MacUpdate and it installed fine.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi McYukon,

Its getting stranger as you can see from my screen shot I do not have a SIMBL folder so am very puzzled as to where is was installed, on restarting Safari there is still no Icon in preferences. Any other thoughts?

C

chas_m

If you are using Safari 5, the "plug-in" Adblock will not work. Use the extension from Apple's Extensions web gallery.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chas_m,

Yes running Safari 5, thanks for the hint but where the devil has the installed files gone:Smirk: As I can not fine them anywhere on the system and you can see from my first screen shot they were installed.
Would be nice just to clean them out as I cant use them.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may be that they files didn't even get installed since the folder where they should go doesn't exist.
If you can't find Safari AdBlock in these two locations then it wasn't installed.

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins

Mac HD/Users/####/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins

Chas_m: I'm running Safari 5.0.3 and the AdBlock SIMBL plugin is installed and working?

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi McYukon,

There is no SIMBL folder at either location so as you say probably never did install. Just very odd that I got the successfully installed box oh well.

Thanks for all the hints and your time, and my Safari version is 5.0.3 also.

C

chas_m

MacYukon: If one has the updated SIMBL, then the "old" Adblock will indeed work as you discovered. SIMBL is officially discouraged by Apple as it can cause stability issues with Safari, so I removed it and discovered that a couple of my older plug-ins were dependent on it. Luckily, both later emerged as extensions so I'm golden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know, thanks for the info.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Arr hi guys finally got it, as I do not have a SIMBL folder I would have to download SIMBL first in order to use this plug-in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duh, wonder why I didn't think off that.
Probably because SIMBL has been on my Mac for so long that I thought it was system included. :)
Thanks for letting us know the fix.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all`s well that ends well, :D and I have just run Onyx for good measure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.