Uninstall DesktopID 1.86 program.

Reaction score
I installed the above program to read out computer information on the desktop and need to uninstall it but the program won't let me saying its "in use." I've tried the standard methods and even AppDelete but to no avail. This is made by Square Apple and don't seem to be able to find out where they are.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it.? :Confused:

G5 PPC 2.0, 5.5 GB RAM, Leopard (10.5.8).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to ask why you installed this utility in the first place because it is not designed for users. Didn't you read the information about the utility before you installed it? Did you read this?

DesktopID is a faceless application that simply displays configuration details on the desktop. The information is super-imposed and cannot be removed by the user.

Why? DesktopID is designed as a support tool for engineers and administrators of Macintosh machines. It makes key information immediately available to the user or engineer who is using the machine.

There doesn't appear to be an uninstall routine so try this first:

Boot up in SAFE mode (hold shift key as soon as you hear the chime). Once the desktop appears in safe mode, remove the program. Make sure you get all the files. Especially look in the startup folders.

If that doesn't work, post back and we'll try something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if all else fails zero the drive and do a clean install, skipping DesktopID!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.