• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

10 years have passed....what's the computer surprise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
I was thinking about this the other day?

When I was a kid, TRS-80's were just coming out. "Adventure" was the game.

Now, I'm sittin in my armchair with a PB G4 on my lap connected via a wireless DSL connection to people all over the world.

In 10 years...what will technology look like.

Be a prophet.

What will the future look like for computers.

S

Santos

I would think of a small brace around your head and control the computer from there. "The new Apple Contact G12" - contact lenses.

:cool:

B

badmojo

My predictions:
1) The computer will get smaller, faster, lighter, cooler, and totally silent.
2) Hard drives, as we know them today, will be completely obsolete. Solid-state drives will dominate, go faster than we can even imagine today, store terabytes of data on something the size of a CF card.
3) Screens will have incredible resolution, and OLED will probably be on it's way out in favor of something better (OLED isn't even in production yet). Your 'screen' may even be something like eyeglasses.
4) WiMax will be everywhere and the fee will come on your water bill. Yes, the municipalities will own the networks. Wifi will be on airplanes.
5) Oddly enough, I think people will still use a keyboard to input ASCII data. Who knows, the keyboard will probably be the whole computer.
6) Silicon transistors will be replaced by another technology.
7) The cursor will move with your eyes. Clicking will be done by blinking them. This, is the only thing I can think of that's faster than the mouse of today.
8) Games will look as real as everyday life.
9) Batteries will go weeks without recharging.
10) Microsoft will still be putting out bad software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Computers that have absolutly no cables(except for power).

Mabe a 500gb ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
macEfan said:
Computers that have absolutly no cables(except for power).

Mabe a 500gb ipod?
Maybe there might not even be a power cable maybe power will be beamed from the wall to the computer then Laptops wouldnt need batteries any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
awesome thead... maybe computer the size of watches and the "screen" in glasses...

M

macguy.nielsen

I think that monitors will goto 3d projection screens, Windows will be OS X with MS Logo's (oh wait, thats Windows Vista). All cities will have WiFi.

oh and last but not least - your brain will be a neural net processor...a learning computer.:D

M

MightyMac

well we have digitization of what we see and hear. What about what we smell? This may take 20 years. iSmell and iSmell Scent Store (for mac), SmellBlaster1.0 (for pc)

I can think of some practical uses:
Selling colognes/perfumes online
Selling flowers online
Sending your brother (who is away for college) the smell of home cookin'

and a disgusting/entertaining use:
Sending someone a fart, burp, etc.

On second thought, this may be a bad idea...

Z

zap2

badmojo said:
My predictions:

7) The cursor will move with your eyes. Clicking will be done by blinking them. This, is the only thing I can think of that's faster than the mouse of today.

when you blick ,what if you don't want to click but you have to blink?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
zap2 said:
when you blick ,what if you don't want to click but you have to blink?

That's where brain implants come into play... they will distinguish between "real" blinks and "fake" blinks. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You won't find a place on Earth that doesn't have at least one wireless data network to connect to. Those networks will be much faster than your DSL connection is today.

Your car, television, and phone will have operating systems, require software updates, and catch viruses. The ones that run Windows will require more updates and catch more viruses than the others, but everyone will say that's because they have more market share.

Which they will.

People will still buy desktops and laptops that look mostly like they do today. There will also be other form factors to choose from, including clothing, chairs, and entire walls of rooms. These will all require software updates and catch viruses. The ones that run Windows will require more updates and catch more viruses than the others.

Everything will have a camera built into it. Some people will go to great lengths to remove, disconnect, or cover those cameras. Other people will think they're cool.

badmojo said:
We all know that right-clicking makes people more efficient, right? The PC people have been telling us for years...so now we're going to have to right-blink and left-blink? Err, wink? That level of efficiency is sure to give me a headache. And a nervous tick.

And God help those born with a lazy eye....

F

Fallooza

i think WWIII will be a nuclear war. The few people left, if any, will be happy ta write in the dirt with a stick. I also predict a super-race of plants that have ninja fighting skills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
the normal desktop wont exist, laptops will. everything will be minimac sized and will plug in to the TV (will will make HDTV look like fuzz).

you will have a remote that will control the said mac that will be like a remote connection to it so you can do the stuff that celebrities have now (i.e open and close curtains etc)

the GHz soon to be Thz processor war will still be strong between all chip makers

more and more people will have a mac due to the mactel run winblows on it

M$ will have a smaller market share thanks to mac and linux gaining more public exposure

i will be 31 will a morgage, marrage and a handful of kids stopping me buying apple stuff :(

and i still wont be able to drive the car i want

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.