Boot Camp, Partition issues

Reaction score
Hello, I have an issue. I decided to install Win 7, and at the half way point of the partition this message pops up "Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again" I tried to correct this I clicked on the erase free space an it didn't change anything. Yes Im a uber noob to mac, anyone who can help me, I would greatly appreciate. I dont know if anyone needs any more info from me so please let me know.:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The error message is telling you that your hard drive is fragmented and there is not enough free contiguous space to create the partition.

In other words there are files that the Boot Camp partitioning program can not move out of the way to make room.

Here's what you need to do:

Backup everything with Time Machine (to an external hard drive). Then erase and reformat your hard drive. Reinstall OS X and during the reinstall use your Time Machine backup to restore. Afterward run the Boot Camp assistant again. This time it should work.

Reaction score
Alternatively you can use a defragmenting program like iDefrag. However, that costs about $30 US. The suggestion above is free. Either will work.

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, it worked just like it was explained. I ended formatting an an restoring the hdd, also i have to say i love time machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.