Snow Leopard install-System File Error

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

I purchased the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disk to upgrade my OS today (it was the 29.99$ one). When ever I try to install the OS it works properly for the first few minutes and them throws up an error screen. It is having an issue with some sort of system files. What is the best way to fix this issue?? I do have my hard drive backed up.

Mackbook info:
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB of memory

If you need anymore info please let me know

Stephen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The $29 Snow Leopard DVD is an upgrade for going from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Since you have Tiger, you should buy the boxed set which is a full version and also includes iLife.

OP
S
Reaction score
Here is the outcome to my situation in case someone searches for this thread. You can use the 30$ version if your system meets the requirements. I booted my system up on the disk and not the hard drive, and then went to disk utility and had to erase my hard drive. Only do this after you have backed up all of your files on a external hard drive. After that, it will install fine. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Here is the outcome to my situation in case someone searches for this thread. You can use the 30$ version if your system meets the requirements. I booted my system up on the disk and not the hard drive, and then went to disk utility and had to erase my hard drive. Only do this after you have backed up all of your files on a external hard drive. After that, it will install fine. Hope this helps.

Glad you got it to work. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

- Kyle

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Everyone knows that you can do it that way. However, as I mentioned above the Snow Leopard upgrade is just that; and it's for going from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Legally and in the spirit of the Apple EULA you were supposed to buy the full install boxed set.

OP
S
Reaction score
Everyone knows that you can do it that way. However, as I mentioned above the Snow Leopard upgrade is just that; and it's for going from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Legally and in the spirit of the Apple EULA you were supposed to buy the full install boxed set.

Legally?? If apple will let you use a 29.99 version to do the same thing why would anyone want to spend 139$ on the full version? Is ILife worth an additional 100 bones? I went to BBY trying to return my software and going to purchase the full box set. Then, the APPLE rep stopped me and told me not to buy it that I could do it with the 29.99 version.

People like myself might not have/want to spend 140$ on something when the same thing can be done with a 30$ version.

PS... (rant not directed towards chscag)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Understand where you're coming from. However, we do not promote any activity that would violate the Apple EULA in these forums. The Apple rep may have been trying to do you a favor but he was clearly wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.