Importing Photos from External hard drive

Reaction score
Sorry guys, one more newbie question. I have a bunch of photos I made copies to an external drive. Now I'd like to import them to the IMAC. (The external drive photos were on Picasa on Windows.) Can this be done? thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
If you are importing into iPhoto, just select File->Import to Library... (shift+command+i) and select either the folders or individual photos you'd like to import. To select multiple files/folders, hold command () whilst clicking.

edit: If you are using Aperature or some other program, I'm assuming the import works in much the same way.

Hope this helps!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
While iPhoto is certainly a nice program (and it's free with your Mac) it has its own way of storing photos. You might want to consider downloading and using the free Picasa for Mac OS X instead. I'm a bit biased because I don't like iPhoto and use Picasa instead, however, that's just me. You may in fact like iPhoto better than Picasa for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
While iPhoto is certainly a nice program (and it's free with your Mac) it has its own way of storing photos. You might want to consider downloading and using the free Picasa for Mac OS X instead. I'm a bit biased because I don't like iPhoto and use Picasa instead, however, that's just me. You may in fact like iPhoto better than Picasa for Windows.

I'd have to second this notion. I think it's really important (even if you think it's trivial) to understand how iPhoto works. (Aperture works the same way, and iTunes works in a very similar way as well) If I wasn't a photographer and didn't need Lightroom, Picasa would be my choice as well, and for very good reasons.

And since you're already familiar with Picasa, you'll have no problem with the transition from the Win to the Mac version. Unless of course you have a specific reason to want to use iPhoto, of course. Should you want to know more about how iPhoto works vs. Picasa, feel free to ask. I just don't want to get deep into it unless you really care/want to know.

Doug

OP
eaglesclaw121
Reaction score
follow up

That's the question i have - I have photos that I uploaded into Picasa and save on my external hard drive. I'm trying now, with the IMac, to export the external drive copies back into Picasa. Hopefully i'm making sense - can this be done on the mac?

Reaction score
iPhoto bs Picasa external hard drive

Hi, I recently bought the MacBook Air in Feb 2015. I sent it back because I found out about the new MacBook that is coming out on Apr 10, 2015. I am new to Mac. I am familiar with Windows Picasa and have stored all my photos on an external hard drive organized by folders. I never imported them to the MacBook Air for the short time I had it, because I was undecided and not educated on how to use iPhoto on the Mac. I was unable to figure out in Finder how the file structure for photos worked and specifically where and how albums or folders were located. I didn't really want to have duplicate photos on the hard drive and was afraid if I just copied them over someplace willy nilly without understanding how the Mac's file structure worked I might have that problem. I also bought the Time Capsule. Basically the only thing on there besides the first backup is iTunes, at least I hope. I have a very tiny understanding if how Time Machine works. That all being said, and hoping that I get the new MacBook bought on April 10, I am uncertain where and how to import the photos I have from my external hard drive. My Windows computers are completely dead and I never plan to own another one after testing out the new Surface Pro 3, which I hated and sent back.

Also I don't know if the new MacBook will come populated with iPhoto or their new Beta app Photos.

What is your advise? Stick with the Mac Photo App or get Picasa for Mac? And Why?

PS. I also have an end game plan to move all my photos onto the iCloud as a secondary backup. I may have to purchase more storage, and I don't know how to get my organized photo Albums over there either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.