Mac for Gaming/WoW graphics issues

Reaction score
I am hoping to hit two birds with one stone with this post. The specs on my MBP are as follows:

17" MBP
2.93ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4g Ram / 250g SSD

As for graphics cards, I'm not sure what I have exactly. When I look it up in "About my Mac" it reads as follows:

NVIDIA Geforce 9400M
NVIDIA Geofoce 9400M GT

I'm not sure if that means I have 2 different graphics cards, or what is going on there.

1st question. Is my MBP suitable for gaming in your opinion with it's current setup? I have ordered a RAM upgrade up to 8g, just waiting for it in the mail. I spent about $5000 on this computer just over a year ago and tried to get it 'souped up' so that it would actually last a few years.

I don't really understand graphics cards at all, are my graphics cards getting outdated, and do I need to start thinking about upgrading it soon?

2nd question. I've been playing WoW with my MBP for over a year now without any issues - FYI I primarily use my MBP for gaming. Recently I've noticed that when playing the game, it starts out great and plays without issue, but after a short period of time the fps degrades to a point where I can barely move around. The issue resets if I /reload the screen or restart the game, but is a constant loop where in 5 minutes or so the fps begins to degrade again. I believe this is an issue with my graphics card hence the above question as to if my graphics card is becoming dated - thereby giving me an excuse to purchase a new one and hopefully resolve the problem.

Any ideas how to fix this issue? I've checked for updates for the graphics driver but have found none. Is there a way to test the graphics card outside of WoW? If I can isolate the problem to WoW then I would hope that a complete re-install of WoW might solve my problem.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any ideas how to fix this issue? I've checked for updates for the graphics driver but have found none. Is there a way to test the graphics card outside of WoW? If I can isolate the problem to WoW then I would hope that a complete re-install of WoW might solve my problem.

Download this free program and switch your 9400M GT to be the default at all times.

Let us know if this works for you. Note that if you're on battery, you will run it down much faster.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, I downloaded the program and changed the settings so that my 9400M GT is the default card at all times. However when I hover my mouse over the GFX Card Status program it states that my functioning card is the 9400M(not the GT) - could this be telling me that my GT card is not operational hence my problems?

I start out with between 40-60 fps then it degrades slowly to 5 fps at which point I can barely move my character on the screen due to horrible screen tearing. I haven't changed any settings in-game or on my computer, this issue just started on it's own a few weeks ago. Is it possible that my graphics card has just kicked-the-bucket?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you reboot the machine after you changed the default status to the 9400M GT? If not, try that and see what it says. It should tell you that the 9400M GT is the default. If it doesn't, there may be a problem, however, it's unlikely one GPU would fail while the other is OK.

Also, you can always run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine to see if everything is working the way it should.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes I did restart the computer. So I've determined that it is not switching to the 9400M GT card at all it just stays on the 9400M despite my pressing "switch GPU" in the gfx cardstatus program.

I will try running the Apple Hardware test now and see what happens.

Thanks

UPDATE: I ran the Apple Hardware test 3 times, each time it told me there were no problems found. I am currently running the extended testing and will let it run overnight. Are there any other programs that can test both of my graphics cards - as I think I can now assume that one of the two is not working which is most likely the cause of my issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The extended tests are primarily for memory and the graphics. Let's see what it says if anything. You didn't mention if your machine was still under warranty (Apple care) but if it is, take it on in to Apple and let them run diagnostics on it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, so nothing came up with the extended testing, however I just tried switching GPU's again and it is now switching over to the 9400M GT card - I'm not sure why all the sudden as I didn't do anything.

Not sure if my computer is under warranty still, I'll have to call Apple to find out. I'm up in the Canadian Arctic though so taking my Mac into an Apple store is not possible, I would have to mail it out and be without for up to 2 months minimum.

Thanks for your help - something is up with it, I'll just have to wait until I head down south for holidays and try to get it repaired at that time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's a bit of good news anyway. Let's hope it stays on the more powerful card. However, when you do get a chance to get close to an Apple store, take it on in and have them look at it. And check up on your warranty before it runs out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.