Macbook Pro having a lot of trouble turning on!

Reaction score
Hi guys

2 days ago my 2 mth old Macbook Pro crashed. I was watching a tv show and it froze. This has actually been happening a lot and I just have to restart it.

Anyway this time when I turned it off and turned it back on it just kept freezing on the apple logo screen. The only way I would get it to fully boot is to enter terminal mode and type fsck -fy (Return) reboot (return). This would load it up, and my mouse was really glitchy. So I thought it was because I had just installed Microsoft Office and it was too much for the comp to handle.
I uninstalled it, and some other prgms i wasn't using and the glitchy mouse stopped.

I thought I had fixed it but after turning it off (over night) and in the AM i turned it back on and the same thing. Sometimes it does other random things on start up too- chimes once and sits on black screen, keeps chiming over and over but sits on black screen, also once it goes to a grey screen with apple logo and just sits there.

Have done-
Command-option-p-r
Safe Mode
Reset SMC
Command-v
Re-installed leopard & mac apps (cds)
Command-s (fsck -fy)
Hardware check (inc. extended), passed everything fine.

The problem still is there. Once the mac is turned on it is ok. I haven't had it freeze on me again, but just turning it on is the tough part!! Just tends to sit there, no screen, or freeze.

Any ideas what is causing this?? Oh and when I installed the mac apps again for some reason the App Store isn't working- its just a white question mark.

Thanks a lot guys,
Natalia

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your MBP is 2 months old, you should be using Snow Leopard not Leopard. Did you buy the machine used?

A 2 month old MBP is still under the Apple warranty (if it was new when purchased) and would be best taken back to them to trouble shoot. Make an appointment by phone or over the web before taking it on in.

OP
N
Reaction score
sorry i meant snow leopard..
it looks like taking it in is my only option isn't it?
i bet once i get there it'll work perfectly -____-
thanks for the reply anyways!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suggest taking it on in because there may be a hardware defect which Apple will repair for free. Let us know how it went.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well you would not believe it but I just turned it off and on and it booted perfectly. And I just made a reservation with the Apple store!
Should I still take it in to be sure? Can they take it for testing even if they can't see a fault?
I ran hardware tests and it was all fine. Infact it's operating a bit better since running the tests.

OP
N
Reaction score
I just spoke to my dad and he said that it's probably getting too hot. We've had a lot of hot days recently (think 39 degrees C) and when it crashed the first time it was on my bed with the doona covers probably blocking the sides. It was really hot..Today is much cooler and it's working fine. I've noticed that fan is really noisy sometimes too. Might leave it a few days.

Is it even normal for it to be this sensitive to heat..?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's working OK now you might want to cancel your appointment and keep a close eye on it. And yes, using your MBP while in bed is not a good idea as that will prevent air from getting underneath the machine for proper cooling.

If you like to lay back in bed and use your machine (who doesn't?) I suggest buying one of those portable notebook desks that you can place it on. That will allow for proper cooling.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yeah that portable notebook desk is a good idea.
I also downloaded SMC fan control so now I can keep an eye on the temperature and increase the fan if need be.
Thanks again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.