Large capacity player - not iPod - itunes/OSX compatible

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
anyone got any suggestions? i cant find anything. it needs to be about 80GB.

I saw the Zune 80gb, is this any good?

cheers

C

chas_m

Is the Zune any good? Well let's ask the dozens of Zune owners .... :)

All kidding aside, I believe MS just released a bit of software for the Zune HD that supports iTunes. Other than that, I'm not aware of any players that are actually iTunes compatible other than the iPod.

Given that there are iPods of well over 80GB -- up to 160GB I believe -- may I ask why you are ruling out the obvious answer to your issue?

PS. I listened to the "Forget You" track -- I'm always confused as to why people leave SOME of the swearwords in but not ALL of them -- weird -- anyway: yes the vocals are too strong in the mix and there could be more energy there, but that's not to say it's not a very good effort and very entertaining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I know the Creative players work on a Mac, they are drag and drop and my daughter has one, but they won't sync with iTunes as such, though they show up in the iTunes window, so it could be possible.
Sadly the biggest they make is 64GB.

Buy Creative ZEN X-Fi2 - Entertainment Devices / MP3 Players - Creative Store (UK)

There are very few companies trying to compete directly with large capacity iPods like the Classic. Most rely on having multi media players to compete, like the Archos machines.
Of those one of the very best is the Cowon:

[ Digital Pride COWON ]

Hope that helps. Any particular reason not to go iPod?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
He's tryin' to spread the love.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha your all jokers. its just that i cant really afford any of the new classics atm, only the old 80GBs, so second hand, and i really don't want the HD fail on me 2 months later ;)

plus ive always thought ipods sound a little thin towards to the top and bottom ends. compared to the walkmans anyway. why not spread a little love to the other companies?

ive been looking at archos in particular kev, you had any experience with those?

(P.S thanks alot for listening chas_m :) i do agree with you, it is too loud. but i really cant be bothered to go back to it now, cause i only did it to help Sammy get her name out there, and so i was more focused on really bringing out her voice. plus i don't really get any of the credit for it... i only did the vocals.)

it would be great if more listeners appreciated a good mix eh ;)

P.P.S i may have just been offered a newer ipod in bad condition.. no go? 120 or 160.. hes not sure, for less than £100.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Not bad, but bad condition how? If you're savvy enough replacing batteries and hard drives isn't too hard to do, so could be worth it.
I agree the classic is a bit pricey too.
As for Archos, not directly, though a couple of friends have them. I think they are a little large and clunky to be honest, hence I prefer the feel and look of the Cowon that another friend owns.
Of course, price wise you are near to Classic territory.
I also think that "thinness" of sound vanishes when you add good headphones, the standard ones are rubbish!

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha yeah those apple buds suck. i have some bose headphones which are really good at the bottom, but still on the ipod they just lose something.

i dont really know, he hasnt got back to me after i told him less than a hundred :p

im gonna go down to CEX now (wahey for the UK, do you have one of these shops near you?) might come back with a battered classic. too many choices.... if i can get it cheap ill buy it. ill trade some stuff in against it.

if it breaks, ill just have to get over it. i broke the last ipod i opened up (an ipod touch, i was so annoyed) but i didn't have the right tools, and i do now. so i will have to do that.

thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes CEX is a good idea. We have one in town here, yep. Seem to always have some good Apple gear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There's an equalizer on the iPod you can use to adjust the sound.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i like the EQ to be flat, just how the engineer made it :p

ended up getting an ipod classic 120gb for 75 quid. bargain. good old CEX. its got a fair amount of scuffs but oh well. i feel like i shouldn't really have asked the question haha.

cheers guys. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that's not at all bad really. CEX must be doing alright, bet they paid 40. Congrats, now fill it :)

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, 46GB going on it right now ;)

Reaction score
Stay away from zunes. I have three now and the ms program shuts down and bsod's my windows computer everytime I connect to my music folder. They are basically useless. If I could use th with iTunes they would work. Worst thing is I ordered them with engraving on all for my family and can't resell them now.

Stick with apple. They got the iPod nailed. Worth the extra money.

Reaction score
You can sell them, you just won't get what they are worth. You will have to take some off due to the engraving.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.