which laptop to buy and why?

T

TripSta

Hi,
looking to buy a mac laptop for graphics and audio. Is there a big difference between the 14" ibook or 12" powerbook?

Does the extra 2" in screen size make a difference if the resolution is still the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Get the powerbook. You will get DVI, screen spanning, and a faster processor. The extra 2 inches on the 14" iBook still has the 1024 x 768 resolution so everything will be "blown up" and fuzzy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Benjamindaines said:
The extra 2 inches on the 14" iBook still has the 1024 x 768 resolution so everything will be "blown up" and fuzzy.
Funny...my 14" iBook screen isn't blown up and fuzzy. In fact, it is pretty darn clear and sharp if you ask me. *shrug*

But I would agree that if you are looking to get into a lot of graphics and audio work, the PowerBook is the better choice. You get the faster processor and larger HD, audio in jack, screen spanning natively, better video card..etc, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
D3v1L80Y said:
Funny...my 14" iBook screen isn't blown up and fuzzy. In fact, it is pretty darn clear and sharp if you ask me. *shrug*
The ones I looked at in the store looked fuzzier then the 12" ones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The 14" iBooks are less "clear" than the 12" iBooks. The reason is that they both have the same resolution just that the 14" enlarges it so that's why you see a difference. For the casual user it shouldn't make that big of a deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
Go powerbook esp b/c u r looking to graphics and audio. The powerbooks are noticeably faster. The 14 inch screen is not fuzzy @ all. Not as crisp as the 12 inch but much easier to read text!!

OP
S

sursuciofla

I use 14" ibook just fine and have CS2, FCP4, and many other graphics intensive programs on mine. The thing about the powerbook is that it is 12". If you won't be hooked up to a 2nd monitor a lot of the time then I would say having the 14" ibook would work out better. My choice is either 14" ibook or 15" powerbook but that's just from my experience and the programs I use. Yes 14" is just stretching the pixels but it still makes a big difference to me. Many Graphic Design schools use ibooks just fine and then if you have the access to a G5 tower, like I do, that's even better. Put spanning doctor on ibook and poof you have screen spanning. Like I said it all depends on what your day consists of. If you spend the majority of your time at home you might as well get an iMac or something. If you can stand the 12" away from home and won't be doing a lot of work on the fly like me then by all means get the powerbook.

TripSta said:
Hi,
looking to buy a mac laptop for graphics and audio. Is there a big difference between the 14" ibook or 12" powerbook?

Does the extra 2" in screen size make a difference if the resolution is still the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
1024x768 on any screen bigger than 12" just looks odd, IMO. From a graphic designer's standpoint, anyway. The iBook / Powerbook processor speed difference isn't as big as it was in the past, like with the iBook G3 - But it still makes a difference. If I had the money I'd definately get a Powerbook. (but I don't) ):

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.