Plain text HTML editor for OSX?

I

iMan

I use Dreamweaver MX2004, but I also need a standard HTML editor that won't screw up my PHP code, Dreamweaver does weird things and messes up some of the PHP code.

Anyway, I run Mac OSX. Can anybody tell me if Apple's own Text Edit will doe this. I know Word won't work as it sticks all sorts of invisible characters in there.

Or can anybody recommend a plain text HTML editor.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Dreamweaver should be able to do it.. in the preferences should be something like do not rewrite your code.. or something like that.. otherwise BBEdit is by far my favorite and it's the only coding tool I use these days :)

OP
I

ineedanewmac

iMan said:
I use Dreamweaver MX2004, but I also need a standard HTML editor that won't screw up my PHP code, Dreamweaver does weird things and messes up some of the PHP code.

Anyway, I run Mac OSX. Can anybody tell me if Apple's own Text Edit will doe this. I know Word won't work as it sticks all sorts of invisible characters in there.

Or can anybody recommend a plain text HTML editor.

Thanks

TextWrangler The answer to my text editor prayers.

Its free, lightweight, and powerfull.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I really like SubEthaEdit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
schweb said:
I really like SubEthaEdit.

DITTO

i like how it color codes your coding. really helps you out when you forget something small.

Reaction score
You can turn all of the code re-writing functions in Dreamweaver off. If you do that you shouldn't have any further problems. If you go into Preferences: Code Rewrite: just deselect all of the rewriting options and select Do Not encode special Charactors, it should stop interfering with your php code.

I've used Dreamweaver as a raw code editor for years and used jsp, asp, VBscript and a variety of other languages within it with no problems, but you do have to tell it to leave your code alone first.

Hope that helps.

Tris...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Dosen't Macromedia have a simple html program? Like homesite or something.

OP
R

Rosaget

skEdit already!

skEdit is where it's at! Its got code hinting like dreamweaver but far superior in speed and cleanliness. The code hinting even has url and css id hinting. I don't believe any other html editors out there have that feature, or do they? And for a measly $20 you can't beat it. I'll have to say though the validation feature in BBEdit is awfully nice and would make skEdit a million times better but I have no other complaints whatsoever. BBEdit is hella ugly and far too expensive in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah BBEdit is a programmers paradice :) Thus the reason why I really like it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.