• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD crashes when I share an iMovie file

Reaction score
I have been working several hours on an imovie project and when I try to share the file with the idvd program, it crushes. If I run idvd first and try to drag and drop the file, I get the message "This is not a movie file". It is strange because I have made several dvds this way and it is the first time I cannot get a solution. Even though the imovie file plays perfectly with the imovie app, it cannot be recognized from idvd. I have exported the file as a full quality quicktime movie and have burned it on a dvd without menus and the quality is not good enough. I have also tried to work on a new mac book pro with the latest software and it doesn't even recognize the file as an imovie project. I can only open the contents of the file. Any suggestions? My software version is mac OSX 10.4.11. Perian, flip for mac, mpeg stream clip are also installed on my hd. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which iMovie are you using? iMovie6HD? Try trashing iDVD's plist found in Home Folder>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iDVD.plist

Make another short movie and see if iDVD does the same. Try using a different account and see if it works, or not.

C

chas_m

ps. The word you want is "crashes."

PPS. Perian, wonderful as it is, has been tied to some weirdness with iDVD. Try uninstalling Perian and Flip4Mac, then proceeding as normal.

Also, super important: make sure you have TONS of free hard drive space on your boot drive. I mean A LOT, at least 20GB or more. Video programs need TONS of free space to do their thing.

OP
D
Reaction score
I did everything you have suggested and I get the message, "unsupported file type: unknown format". Perian and flip for mac are now uninstalled and my free space in my boot drive is about 160gb. I trashed idvd's plist and tried again. I guess there is a corruption in my imovie file and I do not know how to fix it. My idvd version is 6.0.4, and my imovie version is 6.0.3. Imovie still crashes when I try to share with idvd. (See? I use the correct word now). Any ideas? Thank you chas-m for my language correction and thank you both very much for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You have plenty of free space on your HDD. I have successfully shared 1hour videos to iDVD with around 30GB of HDD space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.