• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Mac Trojan Threat Discovered

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The "Owned!" button in the screenshot looks kinda fun to press, though.

Anyways, looks like you'd have to go out of your way to mistakenly get this on your computer or just be completely oblivious to what you are doing.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Anyways, looks like you'd have to go out of your way to mistakenly get this on your computer or just be completely oblivious to what you are doing.

Which unfortunately probably covers about 80-90% of users.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which unfortunately probably covers about 80-90% of users.

My mother could manage to find all the trojans in the world, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ya know what's mind boggling? That in this day and age, with computers (all forms, not just laptops/desktops) being being as widely used as they are, and for the things they are, that education on their usage isn't totally mandatory. I'm sure that most schools have basic computer lab courses, but I guarantee that they're not focused on things other than their basic use, maybe some basic programming etc., but I'm sure they don't ever get into things such as security in general.

Then there's my generation, and the generation which came before mine... In my H.S. days, computer courses were extra curricular for the most part, and before my day.. they weren't even thought of. So now we have a few generations worth of dummies, and from what I'm seeing, most of this still carries over to today... While private school institutions may have great programs in their schools, it's far from being the norm.

So this leads to a question. Why wouldn't companies such as Apple and Microsoft etc want to head up a project that would educate the masses on serious subjects such as basic computer security and the role that the end user plays ? I mean, it's quite simple really... You, the user have the power to render a Trojan useless. A virus might be more tricky, but if you know what it actually is, then you're less likely to get one.

Could it be that there's more money in it for these companies, when people feel hopeless, paranoid and remain dumb ?

One comment from that article hits the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned:
That being said however, one reason we might not see viruses on the Mac in the future is that it might be easier, and get more results to use Trojans.

Another uncomfortable fact is that the general population has been getting stupider year by year for about 30 years now, and we are no where near the peak of the phenomenon. Education rates have plummeted, the quality of education has plummeted, average IQ scores have plummeted, etc., etc. So it might actually be more efficient, and get you a bigger bang for your buck to go after the human fallibility factor (the stupids), instead of pitching your wits against a hardened Unix system.

If I was a virus writer I would have switched to writing Trojans a long time ago for this very reason.

Maybe this is why Macs never seem to get targeted. All the "easy meat" was taken a long time ago and the average hacker writing viruses is just not up to the incredibly complex work of breaking into a system that has any real protections applied.

Lazyness + Stupidity = Trojans more profitable than Viruses.
Doug

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The argument about market share being the main reason hackers don't target Macs is a bit overplayed at this point. The reality is you'd think it was the holy grail of targets by now. I mean - what hacker wouldn't want to brag about being the author of the first widespread infection to hit Mac users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When you see it on the 6 o'clock news and you will if it happens then you can put merit
to it in the mean time use the Mac and enjoy it.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So your local 6 o'clock news is more reliable than online news sources? Given what I know about the production value of most local news sources, I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say. ;)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well it was only a matter of time before something came out. but hey, just using common sense of what you click on and where you visit/ download can easily prevent this.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use this example a bit, but it's a great one:

Not lying... Our local news ran a segment that you should be very careful with Netflix DVD's, because they can be "hazardous to your health from the germs they house".

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Not lying... Our local news ran a segment that you should be very careful with Netflix DVD's, because they can be "hazardous to your health from the germs they house".

I didn't see that particular segment so I'll keep chewing on them...:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Reaction score
Interesting. How does my butt taste ? HayOOOOOO! :D

D.

LMAO…

I think I'm proud to say I use Netflix virtually…aka without a plastic disk that someone touched after they didn't wash their hands. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Same thing goes for the cash in your pocket, and your debit cards (it comes out of card readers with the germs off every card inserted before yours). Dontcha just love germophobia?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same thing goes for the cash in your pocket, and your debit cards (it comes out of card readers with the germs off every card inserted before yours). Dontcha just love germophobia?

Yep, not to mention all the things in a household. I just think the person who decided to do the Netflix story must have encountered a very slow news day.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't watch chick flicks so I'm probably safe...:Angry-Tongue:

Might I recommend Love Actually then ? It's quite good. Or at least that's what your girlfriend told me after we watched it. DAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaUm! lol O:);D

(props to your rebuttal though. That was good.

Doug

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eat. Pray. Love.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.