Recovering data from bust partitioned hard drive

Reaction score
Right, i stupidly tried to partition my Hard Drive on my MacBook (Hitachi drive), this failed epically and as a result, i cant access anything!! Apple have replaced the hard drive as its still in warranty but wont look at data recovery.
Someone has suggested buying a caddy, or enclosure for the drive and attempting to recover the data that way!? It seems easy enough, im just worried that the partition i attempted has made this impossible. Being a student, i cant really afford the huge fee's of sending it to a pro. Thanks!

Right, i stupidly tried to partition my Hard Drive on my MacBook (Hitachi drive), this failed epically and as a result, i cant access anything!! Apple have replaced the hard drive as its still in warranty but wont look at data recovery.
Someone has suggested buying a caddy, or enclosure for the drive and attempting to recover the data that way!? It seems easy enough, im just worried that the partition i attempted has made this impossible. Being a student, i cant really afford the huge fee's of sending it to a pro. Thanks!

I (stupidly) tried and failed to partition the hard drive on my macbook...
Long story short, i took it to apple who replaced the drive and gave me the original back for data recovery. But through forums etc, im under the impression that once a partition has overwritten the existing part any data is lost?! I've tried a caddy/enclosure to locate data, but all that is found is the windows partition. Not good! Any ideas? Download recommendations or anything would be appreciated!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged triplicate threads. Please do not start multiple threads with the same question.

There are no paid techs here - only end users... like you - volunteering their time.
While you are waiting for someone that may assist, you might try the search function as the same question has been asked many times.

You could also start at the sticky thread - here.

OP
B
Reaction score
recovering data from a partitioned hard drive

I set up a partition on my macbook hard drive, which didnt work very well.
Long story short, my mac wouldn't boot etc. Apple replaced the hard drive for free and gave me the original for data recovery. I am under the impression that once a partition is in place, recovery is almost impossible, something to do with overwriting the MAC partition. ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk seem to think they can locate it by creating an image then using that... but it costs £hundreds, and as a skint student, not ideal! I have tried using a caddy/enclosure to locate the files but all it returns is the windows partition. Any ideas? Downloads to remove/recover partitions etc or anything would be appreciated!

OP
B
Reaction score
I set up a partition on my macbook hard drive, which didnt work very well.
Long story short, my mac wouldn't boot etc. Apple replaced the hard drive for free and gave me the original for data recovery. I am under the impression that once a partition is in place, recovery is almost impossible, something to do with overwriting the MAC partition. ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk seem to think they can locate it by creating an image then using that... but it costs £hundreds, and as a skint student, not ideal! I have tried using a caddy/enclosure to locate the files but all it returns is the windows partition. Any ideas? Downloads to remove/recover partitions etc or anything would be appreciated!

They're actually asking for £2995...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.