Macbook PRO 13 runs slow when connected with ethernet cable

Reaction score
I'm a programmer using all can give me money :) So i work on uindos, linuz, and, obviously, OsX. I'm not a kid and I saw the birth of the Apple II.

But...

One month ago I bought a Mcbook pro 13" 2010.

First, wifi connection runs slow. Searching on the net I have found some solution. I have changed dns in my routers (!) and now wifi speed is good. I dont know why but works.

Second... If I connect ethernet cable to McBook everything is going very slowly and system becomes unusable. With external mouse connected (a standard USB mouse) the problem does not arise (!). Disconnecting cable all works fine.

[update]
Only cursor, if moved with touchpad, moves slowly and is not usable.
[/update]

I tried to change manually interface settings (network > advanced > configuration | manual > speed | 100baseTX > duplex | full-duplex), according some forum, but without solving. Plugging ethernet connector in my Mac system becomes slow and unusable.

Here there is a small lan with 3Com hardware: two routers (we have two ADSL connections, same provider but differents types), three switches, high quality cables; a dozen of computers, three or four printers, some shared device like NAS and servers. All works fine also with other Macs.

I have reinstalled ad (re)upgraded OS, obtain a flat factory installation without any non original application. But problem remains.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot

doc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
Heres what I would do. Test the Mac with a different ethernet cable that is cat6. Even if yours is cat6 still try the cable. If it works it's the cable.

If that didn't work take it to the office or another place with a router and plug it in using their cable and setup. If that works then it is most likely a router/modem issue.

If that still has issues take it to the apple store asap and let them diagnose the issue.

OP
doc.tmn
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.

I did everything I could, also tried with other LANs. Other cables, routers, providers... This afternoon I will go to an Apple Center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
One of the things I always check for slow network performance, especially on new systems, is the order of the network devices. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, lists devices alphabetically, which always puts Bluetooth at the top of the list. All network requests try to route themselves through Bluetooth first, and after a few seconds fail over to the next device, causing a "lag" to the user. In the network pane, click the gear at the bottom and select Set Service Order. Bring Ethernet to the top, then Airport, leave Bluetooth at the bottom of the list. Try opening pages again, and see if the lag you observed before has improved.

OP
doc.tmn
Reaction score
Thanks EvenStranger, but I dont have a network performance problem.

My problem is 'if I connect an ethernet cable to my McBook PRO 13" the touchpad is unusable to move cursor and click, because cursor movements is erratic and inaccurate'.

Connecting an USB mouse I can use mouse as usually.

So I have some conflict between ethernet plug and touchpad; i dont know hardware or software...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Gotcha - totally misunderstood. Ok, so question... Connecting a mouse should sort-of reset the USB bus, or at least reload the USB HID kext. Does connecting a mouse cause the trackpad to respond normally, or is the trackpad still erratic with the mouse connected? If so, then I might consider a ground fault between the ethernet cable and the trackpad. I don't know if it still applies, but there used to be a hidden function where holding your palm on the trackpad for 5-10 seconds restarted the trackpad driver and restored functionality in some cases. Either way, you've shown through restoring the software that it's not entirely software based. I'd guess it's a hardware issue, and might be resolved by replacing the trackpad assembly.

OP
doc.tmn
Reaction score
Ground fault was my first idea.
But our wiring is perfect.

Today I have installed win with bootcamp, and the problem does not appears. Good news! So its a software problem :| ...but I have restored (reinstalled) the OS and tried with a clean 'factory' installation obtaining same erratic cursor.

YouTube - Erratic MacBook PRO

Excuse me for the poor quality.

OP
doc.tmn
Reaction score
Just a little update.

Some day ago I have contacted bugreport.apple.com and today the answer:

<paste>

> Engineering has requested the following information in order to
> further investigate this issue:
>
> Does the problem persist if you touch the MacBook Pro enclosure while
> attempting to track?
>

Problem disappears.
Wow!
An now what should I do?
I need both hands to work ;)

</paste>

So is a ground problem: the enclosure ground is non correctly linket to touchpad ground. I'm waiting the solution :D

-> doc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.