PC user, interested in switching

Reaction score
I have been a long time PC user but lately have been considering making the switch. I was hoping that some people on this forum could help me make my decision on whether I should stay PC or goes OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Why do you want to switch? No need to switch just for the sake of switching if Windows is working out for you. If not, in what ways would you like OSX to be different? What do you plan on doing with a Mac? What made you consider switching to begin with?

Only you know the answers to these questions, so it's hard for anyone else to make a decision for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Whilst Oneironaut is quite correct -no one can make the decision for you, I think he may be making theFBI's query a little more difficult than needs be.

Six months ago I made the switch from Windows to Mac -entirely. I now no longer run Windows for anything. Windows has never been installed on my MBP and I have absolutely no plans of ever doing so. My Windows PC still sits on my desk, unused. I'll give it away as soon as I muster the energy to go through all the drama and trauma associated with erasing the drives completely and reinstalling a clean OS on it. For the time being, I'm still thoroughly enjoying my Mac experience, so it's rather hard to muster the necessary energy to do what needs must for the Windows box.

I was a Windows user of some 30-odd years (Commodore prior to that) before making the switch. My decision was motivated by the sheer frustration of most days having to spend 2+ hours massaging the OS to a functional state before setting out to do what I needed, and the anger & frustration occasioned by Windows "updates" causing essential and expensive hardware components to no longer function, or crash at regular intervals. I thought I deserved better performance for my hard-earned dollars.

With the Mac, I have that and so much more. You'll read often "it just works" until it looks like a cliché... but believe me, it's a hard, verifiable truth. This system I have now is an absolute delight. I purchased a Time Capsule at the same time which manages my internet connection, wifi connected devices and my ATV, as well as back-ups which happen hourly, invisibly and with absolutely no requirement for active intervention from me. Compare that alone with the debacle that Windows backups so frequently become.

My recommendation? Go for it. Go hard & go soon. You'll never regret it. Sure, the up-front cost is an order of magnitude greater than an apparently equivalent Windows machine -but the time I'm not spending sorting out OS, hardware and software issues is worth 10x the money.

Fill yer boots, never look back.

Reaction score
There are a number of helpful Web sites devoted to this topic:

42 Reasons Normal People Can Switch to Macs:
Gawker — Today's gossip is tomorrow's news

Switch to Mac, You'll Never Go Back:
Switch to a Mac and You’ll Never Go Back - AppleMatters

50 reasons to Switch:
50 Reasons to Switch from Microsoft Windows to Apple’s Mac OS X ~ Chris Pirillo

Ditch your PC:
Why You Should Ditch Your PC and Switch to Mac :: Fire and Knowledge

I almost never get involved with answering this question. The thing is, I hear from a bunch of folks who are considering switching each week. But I can immediately tell that every single one of them has already convinced themselves. They either had a nasty virus wipe out their office, or they have had to reinstall the Windows OS on their computer one too many times, or they have lost valuable data too many times, or they have had to pay an expensive consultant to get their PC working again several times. Often they have colleagues with Macs, and they notice that these colleagues never have these problems. These folks are better ambassadors for the Macintosh than I could ever be.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Whilst Oneironaut is quite correct -no one can make the decision for you, I think he may be making theFBI's query a little more difficult than needs be.

Six months ago I made the switch from Windows to Mac -entirely. I now no longer run Windows for anything. Windows has never been installed on my MBP and I have absolutely no plans of ever doing so. My Windows PC still sits on my desk, unused. I'll give it away as soon as I muster the energy to go through all the drama and trauma associated with erasing the drives completely and reinstalling a clean OS on it. For the time being, I'm still thoroughly enjoying my Mac experience, so it's rather hard to muster the necessary energy to do what needs must for the Windows box.

I was a Windows user of some 30-odd years (Commodore prior to that) before making the switch. My decision was motivated by the sheer frustration of most days having to spend 2+ hours massaging the OS to a functional state before setting out to do what I needed, and the anger & frustration occasioned by Windows "updates" causing essential and expensive hardware components to no longer function, or crash at regular intervals. I thought I deserved better performance for my hard-earned dollars.

With the Mac, I have that and so much more. You'll read often "it just works" until it looks like a cliché... but believe me, it's a hard, verifiable truth. This system I have now is an absolute delight. I purchased a Time Capsule at the same time which manages my internet connection, wifi connected devices and my ATV, as well as back-ups which happen hourly, invisibly and with absolutely no requirement for active intervention from me. Compare that alone with the debacle that Windows backups so frequently become.

My recommendation? Go for it. Go hard & go soon. You'll never regret it. Sure, the up-front cost is an order of magnitude greater than an apparently equivalent Windows machine -but the time I'm not spending sorting out OS, hardware and software issues is worth 10x the money.

Fill yer boots, never look back.

There are a number of helpful Web sites devoted to this topic:

42 Reasons Normal People Can Switch to Macs:
Gawker — Today's gossip is tomorrow's news

Switch to Mac, You'll Never Go Back:
Switch to a Mac and You’ll Never Go Back - AppleMatters

50 reasons to Switch:
50 Reasons to Switch from Microsoft Windows to Apple’s Mac OS X ~ Chris Pirillo

Ditch your PC:
Why You Should Ditch Your PC and Switch to Mac :: Fire and Knowledge

I almost never get involved with answering this question. The thing is, I hear from a bunch of folks who are considering switching each week. But I can immediately tell that every single one of them has already convinced themselves. They either had a nasty virus wipe out their office, or they have had to reinstall the Windows OS on their computer one too many times, or they have lost valuable data too many times, or they have had to pay an expensive consultant to get their PC working again several times. Often they have colleagues with Macs, and they notice that these colleagues never have these problems. These folks are better ambassadors for the Macintosh than I could ever be.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Got rid of my home Windows PC (Dell overpriced piece of brand) and went almost 10yrs other than using windows for the companies I worked for until biting the bullet and checking out Macs.
At first, I was lost because I was looking for it to act like Windows, and give it 24hrs, I was hooked!

I can't comment on a technical geeky level, as I'm just a guy who needed a computer for word processing, communication, music production and recording, and a little home business.
Next thing I know, I am king of the castle, with a UI that just does what I need, and all too often, I find out that I have more at my fingertips than I even knew I had.

Now, I have not only a computer that I enjoy using, but every challenge that shows itself, such as learning how to use a feature that I didn't know was available, is a pleasure.

BTW, my brother had the first gen iMac, and I tried it and hated it.
I gave it all of 2minutes trying to get it to behave like Windows and gave up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
I converted oh, about two weeks ago now? I LOVE MAC OSX! I can't give it enough praise, seriously. I am a techy guy. I do still have a Windows machine, and am actually building a Windows desktop for gaming purposes but my MBP is my main workhorse computer. It goes with me everywhere. There is nothing inherently wrong with Windows 7, per se. It's a decent OS, and better than anything Microsoft has put out in a long time, but OS X blows it out of the water. My advice is to go to an Apple Store (or a best buy/other authorized reseller if there isn't an Apple Store in your area) and play around on a Mac for a little while to see what you think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
To this day I have never met anyone who made the switch to Mac and regret it some of my
friends use both for work and home as I do but none of us could go back to full time Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Like osxx, I've never had a friend of mine switch and show any sign of regret. Family members, friends, friends of friends even. The bug spread relatively quickly in my area, and everyone seems to love it.

C

chas_m

I've yet to meet anyone who switched to Mac, gave it a real shot, and switched back for anything OTHER than professional/forced to reasons.

For most people, the hardware integration, quality of design, logic of the OS (a different logic than Windows, to be sure, but logical nonetheless), lack of viruses and improved user experience were the top reasons they were happy they switched. Recently, though, one of my students put it this way: "I love my Mac because I don't think I'll ever run out of new things I've discovered I can do with it!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.